Law School Discussion

How does one score in the 130s?

GA_Kristi

• Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How does one score in the 130s?
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2004, 04:51:52 PM »
That is small time, ask anyone in a frat- the greeks save all their old papers and tests for each other, and have been doing that for years.

How is this any different than law schools keeping old tests on file in the library?  Not to mention that lots of student organizations in law school offer their members access to old tests and outlines.

Edit:  As far as saving old papers...I do NOT condone the "re-using" of papers.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2004, 05:21:10 PM »

Logic only takes a person so far, all arguments need to touch on Logos, pathos, and egos... logic, Respectability of the persuader, and emotion.

I think you mean ethos-(ethics) looks like a Fruedian slip, LOL!

« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2004, 06:48:07 PM »
That is small time, ask anyone in a frat- the greeks save all their old papers and tests for each other, and have been doing that for years.

How is this any different than law schools keeping old tests on file in the library?  Not to mention that lots of student organizations in law school offer their members access to old tests and outlines.

Edit:  As far as saving old papers...I do NOT condone the "re-using" of papers.

I agree.  I just think that it shows how GPA, high or low, is not necessarily representative of the abilities of the student.

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2004, 07:13:49 PM »

Logic only takes a person so far, all arguments need to touch on Logos, pathos, and egos... logic, Respectability of the persuader, and emotion.

I think you mean ethos-(ethics) looks like a Fruedian slip, LOL!

Lol, actually I had them in the wrong order because I was writing quickly... logos is logic, ethos is ethics (the respectability of the speaker), and pathos is emotion.

Thanks for pointing it out.

swifty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2004, 09:24:17 PM »
Some of the most brilliant people in history were considered completely crazy or stupid in their time, that is my point.  I think there are different kinds of intelligence.

John Nash.  The Nash Equilibrium.

Hey GA_Kristi, you are quoting my hero too!

swifty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2004, 09:31:44 PM »
I agree that to be a successful attorney you have to have communications skills. Logic skills can be practiced and learned, communication skills are hard to learn. Some people just can not write or speak to a group.

I have taken quite a few public speaking and persuasion classes. It is really interesting to sit in on those classes. Once you learn the theories behind persuasion little else matters. You learn to connect with the individuals you need to persuade, in law, the jury. Working a court room is just as important as reasoning and logic. You can have great logic skills but if you can not compliment them with communication skills you are not winning over the jury.

I am sure that we can all argue what makes a good lawyer until we are blue in the face, we can also argue how much the LSAT plays into being a good lawyer, but in reality there is probably no right answer to any of these questions.

You bring up public speaking, which is interesting.  It's the number one fear of all people (Maybe not Osoma).  When I was younger, I never raised my hand in class, never asked questions, and was deathly afraid of being called upon.  People say it takes practice to get over this.  But let me tell you, at least for me it didn't.  What it took was maturity.  I was 38 when I took my required public speaking course, and some speeches had to be given by a group, I got so pissed off at the group, and how they wanted to organize the speech, that I completely forgot I had a terrible problem with public speaking.  For those of you out there, and I know you are, it DOES get better with practice, and definately comes along with maturity.  I am actually requesting to do speach because I want to put it on my resume.  Trust me people, I was there, it can be overcome. 

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2004, 06:40:47 AM »
Public speaking was never a problem for me. I have watched so many people get flustered and I could never understand why. For me, I just get up and talk as comfortably as if I were in front of a group of my friends. I like to speak off the cuff as much as possible and it seems to draw people in. I think a lot of it comes down to confidence in yourself and in the content that you have to speak about.

I would bet that people can get over their fear with work, but I have seen professionals with years of experience speak horribly. Some people can get over the fear of getting up and speaking but they can not grasp the fundamentals of how to speak to a group.

Congrats on being able to stand up in front of a group and get through your fear of speaking, not many people are able to do that like you did. You should definately be proud of yourself :)