« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 03:23:41 PM »
you are just a sexist pig

LambdaChi03

• BS in Forensic Science, Baylor; KU Law
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How does one score in the 130s?
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 03:42:20 PM »
How are any of the above posts "sexist"?  I didn't see a single sexist remark.  I agree with the fact that the LSAT is a predictor of how well you will do, but many things affect performance in law school.  Motivation, work ethic, and prior experience with a difficult curriculum, for example, can all affect a future law student's performance.  I believe these things are much better predictors of future performance than the LSAT.  Someone with a low LSAT score can do better than someone who scored well but isn't 100% dedicated to obtaining a J.D.  The LSAT opens doors, but what really determines success is how bad you want something...not just because your parents urged you to go or you want to make money (this should not be your #1 priority).  I don't want to hear any more of this nonsense that below 150 = inept at grasping analytical concepts.  You cannot make a general statement like that and hope that people take it as valid.  Each person has unique experiences, and these experiences cannot be discarded just because someone didn't score well on the LSAT.  In my opinion, that is very narrow minded.

buster

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 04:00:14 PM »
Abe Lincoln got a 166; he would have done better but he screwed up filling in the circles toward the end of the game section.  ;)

So someone with an LSAT score at or slightly below the national average among test takers should not be a lawyer?  I'm glad you weren't around to give Abe Lincoln advice.

Victor

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2004, 04:02:26 PM »
One thing I dont understand is what if someone gets a below a 150 on the Real LSAT and then retakes it and gets a 160. So after just a few months one is ready to go to lawschool now?

Foxnews your claim is specious.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 04:07:23 PM »
Abe Lincoln got a 166; he would have done better but he screwed up filling in the circles toward the end of the game section.  ;)

So someone with an LSAT score at or slightly below the national average among test takers should not be a lawyer?  I'm glad you weren't around to give Abe Lincoln advice.

nah...he probably wasted valuable time scratching his itchy goatee..... ;D

superiorlobe

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 04:32:24 PM »
However the rest of your post is right on the money -  below 150 should reconsider their future plans.

Abe would have scored in the high 170s.  He wasn't stupid -- just self-educated.  Please never confuse those two concepts again.

superiorlobe

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »
One thing I dont understand is what if someone gets a below a 150 on the Real LSAT and then retakes it and gets a 160. So after just a few months one is ready to go to lawschool now?

This doesn't happen often, though.  People don't just improve 40 percentile points on their re-take.  149=43%  160=83%.  An 11-point score increase probably happens to less than 1% of all re-takers.

Victor

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 04:55:55 PM »

This doesn't happen often, though.  People don't just improve 40 percentile points on their re-take.  149=43%  160=83%.  An 11-point score increase probably happens to less than 1% of all re-takers.

Ok but still, what if it was 149 the first time then a 152  . . . is that person then ready for lawschool?

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 05:14:12 PM »
Abe would have scored in the high 170s.  He wasn't stupid -- just self-educated.  Please never confuse those two concepts again.

A fair point, but since standardized tests are culturally biased I'm guessing old Abe would probably not have scored that high.  And a 150 LSAT does not indicate stupidity....

FWIW, I went up 12 points w/ what I'd consider to be a modest amount of study, and before the second test I was practicing at around 16-18 points higher than my first score.  I seriously doubt my increase was unusual.

Lydia

• 3.5/170/Penn
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kiwigrrl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 05:51:04 PM »
When I took the SAT the first time I scored a 1300.  I took it again and got a 1480.  I had not studied for it much for the first time, and studied even less the second time.  The two tests were only a few months apart.  Granted, this is the SAT not the LSAT, and this story is pretty unusual, probably, but you can't account for luck.

I think standardized tests measure confidence, self-assurance (which, ironically, I don't have a whole lot of when it comes to anything non-academic), intelligence is a distant third, if it's there at all.