Law School Discussion

2 page personal statement limit - single or double spaced?

2 page personal statement limit - single or double spaced?
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:02:54 PM »
I compromised for my first one at 1.5 spacing, but my second one is a little lengthy, and I was thinking of going single-spaced. The application doesn't specify, so I don't know what to do.

JPhilmore

• This actually is me.
    • View Profile
Re: 2 page personal statement limit - single or double spaced?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 03:40:54 PM »
Yep, I concur.  Double.

Geez, take it easy....

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 12:16:21 PM »
I think that if you can say just as much with around half the words that's going to be your best bet.

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 04:01:46 PM »
I think some people who have exceptional backgrounds have the right to submit a longer personal statement.  This is not to suggest that one should disregard the specifications of any particular school, simply that people who have significant work experience or other accomplishments should not hesitate to use 1.5 spacing, submit 3 or 4 pages if no length requirement is given, etc...

Some kid just back from Iraq who got the purple heart; some girl who founded an NGO to combat genocide in Sudan.  Yeah, I think these types of people have the right to be a bit liberal in their interpretation of personal statement guidelines.   

That said, I concur with the notion that one should be as concise as possible.  Also, it would be unwise to write much if you haven't really done much.

verbal

• AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 04:30:56 PM »
if u really have to write more on your personal statement add a page. most schools say approx or suggested anyway. dont make it 9 point font or single spaced. if u had to read 60 ps's in one day wouldnt a single spaced paper just piss u off.

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 09:15:16 AM »
Simple, the usual format should be the following: 1" Inch on the margin, double space, 12 font(11 max, don't push it), 2 pages

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 01:00:12 AM »
The personal statement was one of oddest things I have ever written.  I was Philosophy and Plitical Science major with an environmental studies minor at my University (13-14 years straight as the best western masters university, USNew.com).  So writing something that was only two pages long confused me beyond belief.

Why is it odd. I could write 20-50 pages without coming up for a breath.  Everyone entering law school can write and you need to make yourself special.  I just wish it could have been with more than I wrote.

Unfotrunatrely I'm complete now so if you want feedback PM your PS.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 01:15:02 AM »
By the way since I have already applied send your PS on PM.

I would love to comment on actual law school applicants.