• View Profile
    • Email
Where should I apply?
« on: November 27, 2005, 02:03:53 AM »

deleted

Slow Blues

Re: Where should I apply?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 07:12:06 AM »
Um, it kind of depends on what kind of URM, and if you're a Cali resident. I'm guessing you're either Latino or Black so maybe USC, Cal-Davis, Cal-Hastings, San Diego, and maybe UCLA. You might have a chance at Berkeley. I don't see Stanford as a reasonable possibility. Of course, most of these aren't in LA. I could see you both perhaps at UCLA.

RocketBot

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 02:45:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure UC schools can't look at race for admissions decisions:

http://vote96.ss.ca.gov/Vote96/html/BP/209.htm

So that's tough.  Write an amazing personal statement and get great recommendations, and you have a shot at USC, and she might get some money there.

segundo

• Red Sox- Still champs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 03:39:16 PM »
From what I understand, the UC policy is very convoluted. They cannot discriminate against a race, but can consider race as a positive factor. Whatever the official policy says, they definitely will give you a boost as a URM. I think you have a great shot at UC-Davis and Hastings as a URM with good soft factors. It's not an exact science, but 2 out of 3 URM applicants with a 160-161 were accepted to Hastings and 1 out of 2 at Davis on LSN. LSN also had 1 out of 2 users in at UCLA with URM and 160. Hope that helps some- good luck. 

Geddon187

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 04:18:37 PM »
From what I understand, the UC policy is very convoluted. They cannot discriminate against a race, but can consider race as a positive factor. Whatever the official policy says, they definitely will give you a boost as a URM. I think you have a great shot at UC-Davis and Hastings as a URM with good soft factors. It's not an exact science, but 2 out of 3 URM applicants with a 160-161 were accepted to Hastings and 1 out of 2 at Davis on LSN. LSN also had 1 out of 2 users in at UCLA with URM and 160. Hope that helps some- good luck. 

Actually Prop 209 bans affirmative action in public universities and Government employment. I have heard that Berkeley gets around this by considering soft factors more than any other school. For the OP, I think that USC would be your best that you both seem reasonable for, but it does depend what kind of AA you are.