Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Is LSAT Reported?  (Read 1243 times)

dta

How Is LSAT Reported?
« on: July 09, 2004, 07:41:39 PM »
How is the LSAT reported to schools? Are they just given the raw score? Are they given a breakdown in performance on each section? Are they given all the information we ourselves get back, that is, do adcoms know *EXACTLY* which problems we missed and which we got right?

nathanielmark

Re: How Is LSAT Reported?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 07:54:43 PM »
good question.  I was actually looking at the docs online yesterday and trying to figure it out... anyone?   

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 08:00:48 PM »
I think just score and percentile.  I doubt they care about specific questions.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

dta

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 08:11:36 PM »
I think just score and percentile.  I doubt they care about specific questions.

That's what I suspect. But does anyone know for sure? Like Green, I've tried looking it up on LSAC but to no avail.

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 09:21:44 PM »
they give the score (and percentile) with a 'score band' which is plus or minus 3 points.

so a 165 would be reported as a 165 (with the relevant percentile) with a score band of 162-168. they don't give a breakdown by section.

TheDecline

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 10:51:32 PM »
what exactly is the purpose of the score band?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 11:17:44 PM »
You don't get the same score every time you take the LSAT, as we probably all know from our diagnostics.  So the purpose of the score band is to predict that X% of the time, you will score in a certain range, +/- 3 points.  Not sure what the value of X is, although I vaguely recall reading about it.  Maybe 95%?  Every standardized test has them,  from the ones in elementary school to the SAT and now the LSAT.  I don't know why it needs to be reported with your score, since I'm sure ad comms know the score band already.  Maybe it's just a gentle reminder that gives you the benefit of the doubt?  ::shrug::
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

dta

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 11:32:38 PM »
they give the score (and percentile) with a 'score band' which is plus or minus 3 points.

so a 165 would be reported as a 165 (with the relevant percentile) with a score band of 162-168. they don't give a breakdown by section.

Hey jas9999, that's good to know. What is your source for this though? I did well on one section and not so well on another. It would be reassurring to know that the adcoms don't know I flopped the RC section. So my question - how do you know this? Did you see it on the LSAC website somewhere?

I just want to be sure. Thanks!

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 11:39:18 AM »
it's on the lsac site, somewhere. the score band, as i recall, is a 2/3 confidence interval. so 66% of the time, your "true" score will fall in that band.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 01:17:19 PM »
I don't think the 'score band' is reported to schools, however. I am pretty sure that schools only see your scaled score and percentile. That is what is included on your LSDAS report.