Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Type Five" Parallel Reasoning Questions  (Read 471 times)

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
"Type Five" Parallel Reasoning Questions
« on: November 26, 2005, 04:56:07 AM »
I seem to miss a high proportion of these compared to others. It's apparently my LR kryptonite. Are they just more difficult in general or is there a good strategy to learn to handle them besides diagramming? I'm a very intuitive kind of guy, so I don't know...

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
Re: "Type Five" Parallel Reasoning Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 11:38:47 AM »
Remind me what type 5 is.

stiffler

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 11:41:16 AM »
they are tough.  a lot of people who have time finishing recommmend skipping them initially because they are time consuming.  make sure you understand the argument in the stimulus, evaluate whether it is valid or not, and have the inference they make to get the conclusion in mind before reading the other arguments. 

lex19

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 11:55:35 AM »
TL, they tend to be the problems that fill half a page b/c the ACs are arguments/stims themselves.....

stiffler i tend to treat these like i do method of reasoning & flaw questions types...id the stim structure and any flaws, assumptions that may be there and just look at each AC to see what fits best, i know powerscore suggested using the premise & conclusion test to eliminate ACs but the conclusion test doesn't always work....also if the reasoning and/or situation in the stim is absurd i tend to eliminate ACs that are normal or actually make sense in the real world situations

good luck and at least // questions are usually at the end of a section for the most part

stiffler

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 11:57:54 AM »
i dont use methods strictly.  i think the conclusion test is okay, but i just meant to keep the way the assumptions work to support the conclusion in mind. 

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 07:18:09 AM »
Conclusion Test? Maybe I missed that class...

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 12:31:35 PM »
TL, they tend to be the problems that fill half a page b/c the ACs are arguments/stims themselves.....

Still pretty vague.  It sounds potentially like a normal, non-flaw parallel reasoning question.  Maybe you can reference a test/section/question number?