Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: masturbation  (Read 9352 times)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: masturbation
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2004, 01:13:32 AM »
I am genuinely curious now about the word "jack off"  I think that when used as a noun it should be hyphenated: You're a bastard, a jack-off, and a son-of-a-female dog.  And when pluralized it should still be hyphenated: You're all bastards, jack-offs, and son-of-a-bitches.

I don't think "son of a female dog" is hyphenated, and wanderer is correct that the plural is "sons of bitches."  The "son" is the main object, so you need to pluralize it.  "Son of a bitches" would imply that one son can have more than one mother, particularly of the female dog variety.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jack%20off

That's the dictionary entry, but it makes no mention of a noun form of "jack off."  I've decided that I think it would keep the same form as the verb if it were a noun.  What does lexy think?  :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

mancow555

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2004, 03:27:18 AM »
although, if they are all brothers then they could be "sons of a female dog." 

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2004, 05:09:55 AM »
although, if they are all brothers then they could be "sons of a female dog." 

If you say so.  But they would not be sons of bitches, as I assume you and your brothers have only the one mother...
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

superiorlobe

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2004, 03:41:13 PM »
Man, you guys don't get it.  I was not trying to pluralize "son of a female dog" correctly.  I was trying to have fun with language.  I guess I should remember to put smileys next to everything that is not a completely serious pronouncement about life.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2004, 03:51:51 PM »
Man, you guys don't get it.  ;D  I was not trying to pluralize "son of a female dog" correctly.  ;)  I was trying to have fun with language.  :-X  I guess I should remember to put smileys next to everything that is not a completely serious pronouncement about life.  :D

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2004, 02:11:45 AM »
I'm glad you weren't completely serious, superiorlobe, but that honestly doesn't matter to me.  I'm so bored that I'll start or join a discussion about it anyway ;)

I think I'll be better now, because my boyfriend and I just moved in together to a new apartment, so now I get to play housewife while looking for a job :)  Now that I have something better to do, maybe I'll relax in my role as grammar police.  ;)

BAFF213

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2004, 02:53:35 PM »
I enjoy being the spelling police from time to time.

brothernads

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2004, 10:24:50 AM »
 does this mean I shouldn't use the word seminal in my PS?? ;D

lexylit

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2004, 12:16:32 PM »
"and that's why i'm petitioning to have the second half of the year be called the O-vester."

-legally blonde