Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: masturbation  (Read 9059 times)

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
Re: masturbation
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2004, 11:06:02 PM »
Jackoffs.  Just like how the plural of bird is birds.

Actually, that looks correct. Here's an interesting twist though. What if the nound is not condensed? That is, what if "jack off" is used as two words but indicating a single entity? Which, then, of the following would be correct?

1. You jack off's are being so silly.

or

2. You jack offs are being so silly.

The original usage, which lexylit objected to, involved this sort of use of "jack off" as a noun. That is, it was used as two-word designation of a single entity, not a single-word designation ala jackoff.

Yes, arguing about grammar is silly. But if one is going to be clever and witty and use grammar naziism to come off as sophisticated then one ought to be prepared for a battle of nitpicking.

Nitpicking about an apostrophe was a distractor.  The real issue was kind of embarassing.  But, it was pretty funny too!  :-*

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2004, 11:11:07 PM »
Well, Lexy just used "jackoff," not "jack off."  But the plural would be "jack offs."  I'm trying to think of an example but can only think of ones where the first word stands on its own as an adjective, whereas "jack" is not an adjective describing "off."  My guess would be that "jack off" is a verb, whereas "jackoff" is a noun.  Is that possibly, Lexy?
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

dta

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2004, 11:25:46 PM »
arguing about grammar is silly. But if one is going to be clever and witty and use grammar naziism to come off as sophisticated then one ought to be prepared for a battle of nitpicking.

IT WAS A JOKE!

the joke was, they'll love you for calling them jackoffs, they just won't love your punctuation choices.

did you really think that was sincere?

I knew you were joking and adopting a playful tone. But you were, i believe, attempting to demonstrate a certain degree of sophistication and wit by pointing out someone else's grammar mistake in a clever way. I do believe you are sophisticated and witty but you do yourself a disservice when attempting to showcase it via someone else's grammar mistake (a 'mistake' which is debatable).

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2004, 02:18:52 AM »
The mistake isn't debatable, though.  That's just not a situation in which you use an apostrophe to pluralize a word.  (Is "pluralize" a word?)  What IS debatable is your take on Lexy's remark in the last sentence.  I don't think she is doing herself a disservice at all; I think her remark continued in the same tone as the original response about "jack offs."
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

superiorlobe

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2004, 06:50:19 PM »
I am genuinely curious now about the word "jack off"  I think that when used as a noun it should be hyphenated: You're a bastard, a jack-off, and a son-of-a-female dog.  And when pluralized it should still be hyphenated: You're all bastards, jack-offs, and son-of-a-bitches.

buster

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2004, 06:55:42 PM »
I would tend to agree. When used as a verb, on the other hand, two separate words, no?

I am genuinely curious now about the word "jack off"  I think that when used as a noun it should be hyphenated: You're a bastard, a jack-off, and a son-of-a-female dog.  And when pluralized it should still be hyphenated: You're all bastards, jack-offs, and son-of-a-bitches.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2004, 07:02:36 PM »

That would be sons of bitches as long as you're being particular, Lobes. (yawn)

superiorlobe

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2004, 07:08:38 PM »

I purposefully avoided sons-of-bitches.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2004, 07:11:24 PM »

I purposefully avoided sons of bitches.

Wouldn't that be self destructive? ;)

shortbus

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2004, 07:40:14 PM »
it's an academic reference. something about freud and foucault, and critical cultural studies, and bulimia being purely masturbatory. summarizing a talk i gave in grad school, since grad school is all about sex anyway.

most people don't mind hearing about masturbation, it's freud and foucault that bothers them