Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: masturbation  (Read 9027 times)

lexylit

Re: masturbation
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2004, 07:56:17 PM »
[quote author=wanderer link=topic=4730.msg55503#msg55503
Oh, I know what ya mean.  I used "jack off" in my PS, but as you say context is everything.  I went with the noun.  Said...hey, if you jack off's look at my last year instead of the overall gpa, I think we can make this baby work.  I'm still waitin'. ::)

i'm totally down with this use of "jack off," but i fear adcoms might be troubled by your misplaced apostrophe!  ;)

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2004, 08:05:01 PM »
[quote author=wanderer link=topic=4730.msg55503#msg55503
Oh, I know what ya mean.  I used "jack off" in my PS, but as you say context is everything.  I went with the noun.  Said...hey, if you jack off's look at my last year instead of the overall gpa, I think we can make this baby work.  I'm still waitin'. ::)

i'm totally down with this use of "jack off," but i fear adcoms might be troubled by your misplaced apostrophe!  ;)

If you look up apostrophe, one of the definitions is "to denote certain plurals."  So, instead of jackoff's, if I said you Smith's or you Wilson's...would that be okay? (but it wouldn't have had the same ring, huh?!!)

lexylit

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2004, 08:11:09 PM »
nope, still wrong, unless you're jane austen; i think it was right when she wrote. apostrophes for plural are rare-- best example is with abbreviations, like "i got two B's this semester so i bought a couple DVD's to celebrate."

dta

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2004, 08:13:24 PM »
nope, still wrong, unless you're jane austen; i think it was right when she wrote. apostrophes for plural are rare-- best example is with abbreviations, like "i got two B's this semester so i bought a couple DVD's to celebrate."

Then how do you suggest properly pluralizing "jackoff" when used as a noun? Jackoff's does, initially, seem correct to me.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2004, 08:18:12 PM »
Assigning the term Jackoff's to *persons* is the same usage as Smith's, Wilson's, etc.  Any rationalization to the contrary is coming from one who intellectualizes using "masturbation" in her PS. 

Ginatio

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2004, 08:20:45 PM »
wtf is wrong with you people?

lexylit

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2004, 08:22:34 PM »
Assigning the term Jackoff's to *persons* is the same usage as Smith's, Wilson's, etc.  Any rationalization to the contrary is coming from one who intellectualizes using "masturbation" in her PS. 

right. all of those are wrong. sorry, i hereby promise not to takl grammar on this board ever again.

superiorlobe

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2004, 08:22:55 PM »

wtf is wrong with you people?

I think the person who has something wrong is Wanderer.

Give up wanderer.  Give up.  You lost.  The apostrophe was in the wrong place.  Just give up.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2004, 08:25:52 PM »
Oookay, let's just say you're right.  And, you're right about masturbation!!  But, please capitalize Fenway Park even if you are a lower case poster.

lexylit

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2004, 08:31:13 PM »
Oookay, let's just say you're right.  And, you're right about masturbation!!  But, please capitalize Fenway Park even if you are a lower case poster.

:D let's you & i be friends