Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: masturbation  (Read 8910 times)

lexylit

masturbation
« on: July 09, 2004, 06:17:20 PM »
is a word i use in my personal statement, but so far several people have read it and mentioned that i might give a 60-yr-old admissions person cardiac arrest that way  :o

anyone agree i need to wash my mouth out with soap? or does controversial = memorable

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: masturbation
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 06:22:04 PM »
Let's hear the context
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

lexylit

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 06:34:27 PM »
it's an academic reference. something about freud and foucault, and critical cultural studies, and bulimia being purely masturbatory. summarizing a talk i gave in grad school, since grad school is all about sex anyway.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 06:54:17 PM »
it's an academic reference. something about freud and foucault, and critical cultural studies, and bulimia being purely masturbatory. summarizing a talk i gave in grad school, since grad school is all about sex anyway.

Let me see if I can lend a hand here ;).  s'all a bit verbose to me.  And, if you have to use "masturbate" to try to make your point, maybe you oughta go jogging or something. :P    Hey, that's just me.  You may find adcom'ers who find it witty and edgy...and, oh boy...you may not!

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 06:57:02 PM »
well.. ok, larger context is definitely necessary here. which would require reading my whole PS so i think it's moot. (or as joey says on friends, it's a moo point. like, the point is MOO.) was just asking if anyone would refrain totally on principle

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 07:03:10 PM »
well.. ok, larger context is definitely necessary here. which would require reading my whole PS so i think it's moot. (or as joey says on friends, it's a moo point. like, the point is MOO.) was just asking if anyone would refrain totally on principle

Oh, I know what ya mean.  I used "jack off" in my PS, but as you say context is everything.  I went with the noun.  Said...hey, if you jack off's look at my last year instead of the overall gpa, I think we can make this baby work.  I'm still waitin'. ::)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 07:06:25 PM »

Lexy, you're my favorite person on this board just for the reference to Joey!

Joey: "Does the guy like you?  Cuz if he doesn't like you, it's a moo point."
Rachel: "Moo?"
Joey: "Yeah, you know, like a cow's opinion: It doesn't matter.  ::pause:: It's moo."

I died laughing the first time I heard that.  That's paraphrased as best as I could remember it.  If I were less lazy, I'd look up the line on imdb.com and see if it's there.

I wouldn't refrain from using the word on principle, by the way.  If it works in context, it might be fine.  I see why it could be controversial, but I can't imagine someone denying you admission based on that; I think it makes you sound smarter.  Maybe it's just a generational thing, since I'm 22 and not easily shocked by words...  :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 07:09:12 PM »
yes definitely best thing ever said on friends ever. moo.

but also "transvestism." i use that too. they can handle it right?

hmm, i wonder which is the most conservative of the LS people... guess i should skip those schools anyway ;)

dta

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 07:12:32 PM »
Sounds like you're going for the intelligentsia angle in your PS. Just be careful. From many Dean quotes i've read in "How to get into top law schools" that can be a real hot potato regardless of how smart you sound.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 07:14:26 PM »
And, Lexy...thanks for rolling with my Friday night, Sam Adams-induced humor (tho you may not be in the mood for it).  Aanyway, I guess you're smart enough to make it work.  So, good luck!!