Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: masturbation  (Read 9368 times)

lexylit

Re: masturbation
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 07:19:39 PM »
Sounds like you're going for the intelligentsia angle in your PS. Just be careful. From many Dean quotes i've read in "How to get into top law schools" that can be a real hot potato regardless of how smart you sound.

maybe i AM a hot potato! hehe

also it just dawned on me that we will go to law school and then we'll participate in moo court. you know, like court for a cow. the court is moo.

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 07:20:54 PM »
I take it back.

superiorlobe

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 07:21:43 PM »
Hi Lexy,

I advise against it.  Ironically, if you were using the word to refer to actual masturbation I wouldn't have a problem.  Hey -- an essay about masturbation would be unique and daring and might work if written with a playful tone.  But it sounds like you are using the word as part of a BS, "intellectual" personal statement.  There is nothing that turns me off more than English majors who BS a lot. If you try and look smart in a personal statement, I think it will backfire.  My own opinion of you has already dropped upon hearing what you plan to write about.

Superiorlobe

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 07:22:56 PM »
Moo court!  I can't wait!  Would I have a greater chance of participating in moo court if I go to LS in an agricultural state, like Iowa or Nebraska?  :)

P.S. To counter superiorlobe, I've gotta say that my opinion of you has risen as a result of this thread.  :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Ginatio

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 07:25:49 PM »
I'm sure she's devastated.

My own opinion of you has already dropped upon hearing what you plan to write about.

My suggestion is to write two personal statements--a safe, traditional one and then this one with the masturbation in it. Send one to half of the schools you're applying to, and the other to the other half. just to hedge...

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 07:35:47 PM »
My suggestion is to write two personal statements--a safe, traditional one and then this one with the masturbation in it. Send one to half of the schools you're applying to, and the other to the other half. just to hedge...

No, no..send the masturbation PS only to Boalt.  Send all the other schools the regular one.  And, for god's sake, don't get 'em mixed up!!

lexylit

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2004, 07:37:32 PM »
right, ok, i retract this whole thread b/c my PS actually has nothing to do with touching myself (when i think about yale i...) NOR is it about being an intellectual. i swear. it's actually about fenway park.

<sigh>

as for 'lobe's opinion of me...damn, i just can't find the right emoticon!

exposť

• Sr. Citizen
  • honey, i'm home...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 07:46:10 PM »
A rather *anti-climactic* ending. :P

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 07:54:23 PM »
right, ok, i retract this whole thread b/c my PS actually has nothing to do with touching myself (when i think about yale i...)

HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!  maybe your PS should be rewriting the lyrics of the original to be about yale.  of course, don't send that one to harvard :)  harvard will get the one about fenway park.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Tyrant

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2004, 07:55:29 PM »
it's an academic reference. something about freud and foucault, and critical cultural studies, and bulimia being purely masturbatory. summarizing a talk i gave in grad school, since grad school is all about sex anyway.

Is bulimia purely masturbatory? or is it just an eating disorder charactorized by binge eating and feelings of quilt that are similiar to masturbatory activities?

I would think if you're really worried about the word you could substitute self-indulgent.