Law School Discussion

403-3 democrats & republicans choose not to pull-out of IRAQ

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
Re: 403-3 democrats & republicans choose not to pull-out of IRAQ
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2005, 10:48:32 PM »
dems and reps wanted the war

By what vote count?  Split it up for me by party, or give me a link.  I'm curious.

sorry, man aye've been busy...

here it is...

House Roll Call Vote 455
Passed by a vote of 296-133:
Republicans 215-6
Democrats 81-126
Independents 0-1

On Friday October 11 the Senate Roll Call Vote No. 237 Leg. on H.J.Res. 114 passed with a vote of 77-23.

Republicans 47-2
Democrats 3020
Independents 0-1

here is a good one...

roll call vote #61
s. res. 95

vote:99-0

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. RES. 95
Commending the President and the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

March 20, 2003
Mr. FRIST (for himself, Mr. DASCHLE, Mr. WARNER, Mr. LEVIN, Mr. MCCONNELL, Mr. REID, Mr. Akaka, Mr. Alexander, Mr. Allard, Mr. Allen, Mr. Baucus, Mr. Bayh, Mr. Bennett, Mr. Biden, Mr. Bingaman, Mr. Bond, Mrs. Boxer, Mr. Breaux, Mr. Brownback, Mr. Bunning, Mr. Burns, Mr. Campbell, Ms. Cantwell, Mr. Carper, Mr. Chafee, Mr. Chambliss, Mrs. Clinton, Mr. Cochran, Mr. Coleman, Ms. Collins, Mr. Conrad, Mr. Cornyn, Mr. Corzine, Mr. Craig, Mr. Crapo, Mr. Dayton, Mr. DeWine, Mr. Dodd, Mrs. Dole, Mr. Domenici, Mr. Dorgan, Mr. Durbin, Mr. Edwards, Mr. Ensign, Mr. Enzi, Mr. FEINGOLD, Mrs. Feinstein Mr. Fitzgerald, Mr. Graham of Florida, Mr. Graham of South Carolina, Mr. Grassley, Mr. Gregg, Mr. Hagel, Mr. Harkin, Mr. Hatch, Mr. Hollings, Mrs. Hutchison, Mr. Inhofe, Mr. Inouye, Mr. Jeffords, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Kennedy, Mr. Kerry, Mr. Kohl, Mr. Kyl, Ms. Landrieu, Mr. Lautenberg, Mr. Leahy, Mr. Lieberman, Mrs. Lincoln, Mr. Lott, Mr. Lugar, Mr. McCain, Ms. Mikulski, Mr. Miller, Ms. Murkowski, Mrs. Murray, Mr. Nelson of Florida, Mr. Nelson of Nebraska, Mr. Nickles, Mr. Pryor, Mr. Reed, Mr. Roberts, Mr. Rockefeller, Mr. Santorum, Mr. Sarbanes, Mr. Schumer, Mr. Sessions, Mr. Shelby, Mr. Smith, Ms. Snowe, Mr. Specter, Ms. Stabenow, Mr. Stevens, Mr. Sununu, Mr. Talent, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Voinovich, and Mr. Wyden) submitted the following resolution; which was considered and agreed to

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESOLUTION
Commending the President and the Armed Forces of the United States of America.

Whereas Saddam Hussein has failed to comply with United Nations Security Council Resolutions 678, 686, 687, 688, 707, 715, 949, 1051, 1060, 1115, 1134, 1137, 1154, 1194, 1205, 1284, and 1441;

Whereas the military action now underway against Iraq is lawful and fully authorized by the Congress in Sec. 3(a) of Public Law 107-243, which passed the Senate on October 10, 2002, by a vote of 77-23, and which passed the House of Representatives on that same date by a vote of 296-133;

Whereas more than 225,000 men and women of the United States Armed Forces are now involved in conflict against Iraq;

Whereas over 200,000 members of the Reserves and National Guard have been called to active duty for the conflict against Iraq and other purposes; and

Whereas the Senate and the American people have the greatest pride in the men and women of the United States Armed Forces, and the civilian personnel supporting them, and strongly support them in their efforts: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the Senate--

(1) commends and supports the efforts and leadership of the President, as Commander in Chief, in the conflict against Iraq;

(2) commends, and expresses the gratitude of the Nation to all members of the United States Armed Forces (whether on active duty, in the National Guard, or in the Reserves) and the civilian employees who support their efforts, as well as the men and women of civilian national security agencies who are participating in the military operations in the Persian Gulf region, for their professional excellence, dedicated patriotism and exemplary bravery;

(3) commends and expresses the gratitude of the Nation to the family members of soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and civilians serving in operations against Iraq who have borne the burden of sacrifice and separation from their loves ones;

(4) expresses its deep condolences to the families of brave Americans who have lost their lives in this noble undertaking, over many years, against Iraq;

(5) joins all Americans in remembering those who lost their lives during Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm in 1991, those still missing from that conflict, including Captain Scott Speicher, USN, and the thousands of Americans who have lost their lives in terrorist attacks over the years, and in the Global War on Terrorism; and

(6) expresses sincere gratitude to British Prime Minister Tony Blair and his government for their courageous and steadfast support, as well as gratitude to other allied nations for their military support, logistical support, and other assistance in the campaign against Saddam Hussein's regime.

and...

>>>in the house

Commending The President and The Armed Forces: By a Yea and Nay vote of 392 yeas to 11 nays, (22 members voting "Present"), Roll No. 83, the House passed H.Con.Res. 104, expressing the support and appreciation of the Nation for the President and the members of the Armed forces who are participating in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Commending the President and the Armed Forces of the United States of America. (Agreed to by Senate)

SRES 95 ATS

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2005, 10:54:11 PM »

"Immediate withdrawal" would qualify as a timetable for withdrawal. HTH.

now that you pointed out that he was wrong, he's going to redefine the word "timetable" to mean something it does not, just like he did in the other thread with the word "federalism."

you make me laugh..."immediate withdrawl" is NOT a timetable for anything...

stop criticising the war...accept it...hussein is out...dems and reps wanted the war...now...lets support the "fledgling government"...lets support the troops...lets support the december 15th elections...shut the naysayers up and do the job right...

this is the major problem with the democratic party...criticise...backtrack ...rehash...so unorganized

until taken to task.

403-3...that is all aye need to write...it cut to the extreme chase...

and all liberals say is...well shucks...golly gee "nobody advocates an immediate pull-out"...EXACTLY...aye say shut up and lets get this thing done!

without bunk criticism...without backtracking.

ps.

spiff:
give the "federalism" thing up...you are wrong...it is on the other thread...
federalism is at the heart for "the people's rights"... not "the states rights".
read some madison...he broadly explains it all...hth :)

So stating the obvious somehow pwns liberals? Kudos.

no aye think the criticising, backtracking and rehashing "l"owns liberals.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2005, 11:27:33 PM »

By what vote count?  Split it up for me by party, or give me a link.  I'm curious.

you won't find a vote count for who "wanted the war" because the resolution was an authorization to use force when appropriate.  people will differ as to what they consider appropriate.

PL 107-243/HJ Res 114.

the resolution authorizes president bush to use us military as he deems necessary and appropriate to defend us national security against iraq and enforce u.n. security council resolutions regarding iraq.

hey... "wanted" may have been a little demonstrative...however...

appropriate can mean "to set apart for a specific use".
but necessary is in there as well...and necessity is the mother of invention.

necessary: that which is essential...urgent need.

it was voted on and the yea's obviously "wanted" something... ;)

oh and btw...you are backtracking...rehashing...an d boo-hoo...stop the whining...
are you gonna stop the whining now or do you need a time-table... :D :D :D

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2005, 09:18:20 AM »

here it is...

Sorry for laying it on like that, but I knew if I called you out I'd get a response.  Thanks.

House Roll Call Vote 455
Republicans 215-6
Democrats 81-126
Independents 0-1

On Friday October 11 the Senate Roll Call Vote No. 237 Leg. on H.J.Res. 114 passed with a vote of 77-23.

Republicans 47-2
Democrats 3020
Independents 0-1

I haven't checked your source, because I assume your honesty, but assuming these two votes are on the same subject, authorizing Bush to use whatever military force he feels necessary in Iraq, then we've got a total Congressional vote count of 529, with the Republicans voting for the war with a rate of 97%, and the Democrats voting against the war with by a 57% to 43% margin.  So if you are saying that some Democrats (a significant minority of Democrats) voted for the war, then you've got the evidence to back that up.  But that very evidence very clearly shows whose war this is.  The Democrats were divided on the war (with a much clearer majority opposed to the war (57%) than Bush claimed represented a "mandate" for his presidency (51%)), while the Republicans supported going to war with almost unanimity. 

Whose war is this?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2005, 11:25:22 AM »

here it is...

Sorry for laying it on like that, but I knew if I called you out I'd get a response.  Thanks.

House Roll Call Vote 455
Republicans 215-6
Democrats 81-126
Independents 0-1

Republicans 47-2
Democrats 3020
Independents 0-1

I haven't checked your source, because I assume your honesty, but assuming these two votes are on the same subject, authorizing Bush to use whatever military force he feels necessary in Iraq, then we've got a total Congressional vote count of 529, with the Republicans voting for the war with a rate of 97%, and the Democrats voting against the war with by a 57% to 43% margin.  So if you are saying that some Democrats (a significant minority of Democrats) voted for the war, then you've got the evidence to back that up.  But that very evidence very clearly shows whose war this is.  The Democrats were divided on the war (with a much clearer majority opposed to the war (57%) than Bush claimed represented a "mandate" for his presidency (51%)), while the Republicans supported going to war with almost unanimity. 

Whose war is this?

111 donkees were braying for hussein to be removed...
262 elephants were trumpeting for hussein to be removed...

we have to listen to the 111 donkees who wanted hussein out...you cannot disallow their support.

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2005, 12:18:44 PM »
I'm not letting those 111 Democrats off the hook entirely, but the point is that the Republicans got their way, we went to war, but if the Democrats had their way, we wouldn't have gone to war, since most voted against it.

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2005, 12:47:05 PM »
I'm not letting those 111 Democrats off the hook entirely, but the point is that the Republicans got their way, we went to war, but if the Democrats had their way, we wouldn't have gone to war, since most voted against it.

Yup...it couldn't be clearer.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2005, 09:11:43 PM »

you can't overlook resolution 95 for the senate
and resolution 104 for the house...

you scanned over the 99-0 senate vote.

"Commending the President and the Armed Forces of the United States of America"

all voting democrats show a substantial support for the war...

and the 392-11 house vote.

all voting democrats show a substantial support for the war...

you can't let them off the hook so soon.

there is no getting around it...the war is republicans and 111 democrats war...that is a considerable amount...

if you look at the senate 30 democrats were in support of the war and 20 dems were not...those 30 dems supported the war...

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2005, 10:29:55 PM »
after murtha's speech...a vote was taken...and the people have spoken...

overwhelmingly...403-3...

democrats while wobbling...keep ball in play...
elephants force the issue.

px.o.rsta

no matter how the "washed-up-post" propagandizes (props-up)...these numbers 403-3 DO NOT lie!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/20/AR2005112000179.html

Not even Murtha called for an immediate pull-out. The more relevant polls indicate most Americans believe going to Iraq was a mistake (and a hefty percentage of them think Bush lied).  Bush still does not think it was a bad idea. Then, you consider the 95% of the rest of the planet who thinks it was a mistake (80% of Brits, for example--and they even went to war with us!). Now, who is out of touch?

What are these reliable polls you are referring to, would it some newspaper article?

ImVinny!

• What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2005, 10:43:24 PM »

You can find a vote count and see what each member voted for, against, or abstain on the thomas legislative website. http://thomas.loc.gov/
You can look up anything there to find vote tallies and such, it is a great resource to have. HTH