Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: weight loss topic  (Read 2748 times)

epicurious

weight loss topic
« on: July 09, 2004, 02:31:52 PM »

buster

Re: weight loss topic
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 02:43:50 PM »
I think you have to be very careful with it in order to really make sure you demonstrate the qualities you're trying to demonstrate rather than just tell a story about yourself. I think some humor will help, also, to make sure a story like this doesn't come across as heavy-handed or too self-consciously "inspirational."

Keeping those qualifiers in mind, I don't think the idea is ridiculous at all.

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 02:50:28 PM »
First: Congrats on the weight loss.

That said, I think it would be like writing about how i managed to quit smoking, or how, as Chris Rock says, "I ain't NEVER been to jail...You ain't SUPPOSED to go to jail!!!...I take care of my keids...u SUPPOSED to take care of your kids!!"

ur not supposed to smoke cigs, ur not supposed to do blow, ur not supposed to eat all that ice cream, and ur not supposed to sit around on yur ass all day staring at the tv

I think the adcoms would say: good for u. none of us smoked crack today. Now while ur  smoothing out that last dimple on yur ass, think of something important to tell us.

Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 02:58:34 PM »
your utter lack of compassion turns me on.  :-*

i'd have to agree, though. the personal statement may work with some admissions officers, but it's risky. you could have 1 or 2 that relate and will give you brownies points, but the rest may just laugh and toss it in the trash.

First: Congrats on the weight loss.

That said, I think it would be like writing about how i managed to quit smoking, or how, as Chris Rock says, "I ain't NEVER been to jail...You ain't SUPPOSED to go to jail!!!...I take care of my keids...u SUPPOSED to take care of your kids!!"

ur not supposed to smoke cigs, ur not supposed to do blow, ur not supposed to eat all that ice cream, and ur not supposed to sit around on yur ass all day staring at the tv

I think the adcoms would say: good for u. none of us smoked crack today. Now while ur  smoothing out that last dimple on yur ass, think of something important to tell us.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 03:04:09 PM »

i thought it was okay to do these things...damn, i guess chris farley wasnt much of a role model.  but then again, im one of those guys who cant seem to gain enough weight...

is it bad if youre doing all four of these things simultaneously?  cuz thats one hell of a rush.

'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 04:48:43 PM »
your utter lack of compassion turns me on.  :-*

lol, i congratulated her on the weight loss u bastard  :-*
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

superiorlobe

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 05:25:44 PM »
I like the weight loss idea.  But it needs to be constructed very carefully and with a sense of humor.  It also needs to point to something bigger about yourself.  It can't be just about losing weight -- it is really about seizing the day and self-determination.

The tone will be very important.

Use the weight loss as an introduction and framework for the essay, but the details should not be about the particular things you ate or didn't eat.  The details should be about your goals, your view of society, and why this relates to law.

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 11:12:41 PM »
I'd probably like it, but then again I'm not on an ad comm, most of whom I feel are old white males... maybe I'm wrong but thats the impression I got when I met some admissions people for my undergraduate.. so I feel the same would apply for law schools.  And I feel the older male generation would probably care less about weight loss...  but like Jew-lo said congrats on the weight loss (btw i thought ur post was hilarious)!  thats awesome!  There are so many things you could say to show determination, perserverance, etc, so maybe weight loss would be too trivial.  Good luck though!  I hate thinking about personal statements, their sooo difficult.  Can't I just use the same one I wrote for college?  Haha, I am a lazy ass.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 11:54:36 PM »

On a side note, should one still aspire to be a lawyer if one has very little respect for the police?  Why are so many of them so megalomanical?  Maybe I should write my BSPS on this very topic...

Are you kidding?  Cops have way too much power and constantly abuse it.  Their ability to use their own discretion is where the problem lies.  99.9% of the reason I want to go to law school is too change this.  People hate cops because of what they do.  They are never around when you need them.  Now many people think going to law school because you hate cops is not a good idea.  Obviously, I disagree.  I can't wait to get one of those pigs on the stand, rip him apart, and have begging for mercy when I am done him/her. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

dta

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 01:54:59 AM »
I think it is incredibly difficult to successfully pull off the Look-At-Me-Overcoming-Adversity personal statement. There is a natural tendency for such essays to regress into a request for pity and an excuse for failure to accomplish various goals. I've seen some pull it off, but not many.

Just think about it. What is more powerful and inspirational? Look at me, I overcame this adversity in order to achieve mediocrity! Or Look at this fantastic goal I achieved through hard work and dedication!

If there was some fantastic goal achieved in the overcoming of adversity, have the accomplishment of the goal be the them. Let the adversity that was overcome merely be an interesting footnote.