Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: weight loss topic  (Read 2600 times)

guyutegirl (Jew-Lo)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Donkey punch: It's not just for breakfast anymore
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Guyutegirl+JewLo
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: weight loss topic
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 05:51:52 PM »
Finally, someone with the nerve to say what jerks cops are.  My sister was a 911 emergency dipatcher for years and began with a healthy respect for police officers.  Now she says she hasn't met a single one that isn't just a big jerk on a power trip.  I have had my share of run-ins with police (and I am a 45 year old woman!) and have found most of them to be total assholes.  Can you at least be polite when giving a person a speeding ticket!!!  The one time I felt like I really needed a cop they really let me down.  My sister-in-law was taking her baby in a car and the SIL was high as a kite on a cocaine.  I had just witnessed her snorting a line as she sat in the car with the baby in the car seat.  I tried to reason with her to not drive and she punched me in the nose.  In desperation, I called the police.  Two amazingly arrogant jerks came and asked her if she was high or if she had assaulted me.  SHe said no to both and they let her go with the baby in the car.  Any idiot could see she was screwed up big time.  They told me they had no probable cause to give her a sobriety test or to search her car.  How about my bleeding nose, her dilated eyes, shaking hands and slurred speech?  Then I had to listen to a lecture on minding my own business, blah, blah, blah. The next day, I called the police chief to lodge a complaint and he justified it by saying that they were at the end of their shift and had not been authorized for overtime.  I then tried to get them to do something about her bringing drugs into my 80 year old father's house and he told me that that was "personal" stuff and my dad should just kick her out.  How about we just come and arrest the female dog?  No, they are too busy at their f-ing speed traps. 

Jesus mm!! That is a f-ing insane story! Did the cops even ask you if you wanted to press charges for assault?
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.

superiorlobe

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2004, 06:46:16 PM »
New opinion: weight-loss is boring and shows insecurity.  Personally, if you can succeed in law school and you will be a kick-ass lawyer, then I don't care if you're fat.  Write about why you want to run the Mexican drug lords into the ground, or something else interesting. (And not because you overcame your drug habit).

buster

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2004, 06:52:22 PM »
Weight loss may indeed show insecurity (boring is up to the writer, I think); however, it may also show a realistic assessment of the impact that one's appearance may have on one's prospects for success in various areas. And I don't think the point is whether or not anyone cares if the writer is fat, but what the weight loss decision and process may demonstrate about that writer.

New opinion: weight-loss is boring and shows insecurity.  Personally, if you can succeed in law school and you will be a kick-ass lawyer, then I don't care if you're fat.  Write about why you want to run the Mexican drug lords into the ground, or something else interesting. (And not because you overcame your drug habit).

londongirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2004, 09:32:26 PM »
I would DEFINITELY stick with the idea. I think it's original. So many of us are going to write about public service etc etc... which is a theme that can display naivety becuse it is centred on what one will achieve (not always, granted) not on something that's already achieved. Weight loss is a down to earth topic.
If I were writing it though, I would say something like ' I could talk about this, or that...' but I think this is most representative of my qualities and what I can achieve because..... make a CASE for why your story is relevanty and reflects more than your weight loss: your determination and tenacity... ability to stick things through (you'll remain alert throughout law school, even once the novelty has worn off). That you have spoken of a life experience because law is more than idealism...
Maybe this all sounds obvious, but it's what I think...
Good luck, and tell us what you decided!