Law School Discussion

Female Drivers

thechoson

Re: Female Drivers
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 03:50:19 PM »
I get my car back today!  :)  You cannot believe how relieved and excited I am to be back in the comforts of my own car.  The last 4 days were hell (or the like); public transportation bites (esp. in NYC).  Getting hit on by random strangers and weirdos at 8 o'clock in the morning is NOT a good way to start off your day.  I don't care what anyone says.   Anyway, thanks to all those who agree with me that females are perhaps the worst drivers out there.  And for those who don't, consider yourselves lucky... for now  ;)     

dang, you are hot.  A little too animated for my tastes, but we can work on that

Jrtzsweetie

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004, 07:16:32 PM »
Is flirting with avatars allowed?  ;) :P

And we can def. work on that  :)

headmachine

• new
    • AOL Instant Messenger - edhouse616
    • View Profile
    • my life
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2004, 05:29:53 AM »

crud. cho always gets mad @$$ cyberplay. keep it up buddy!  :-*

thinknpositive

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2004, 05:56:36 AM »
I get my car back today!  :)  You cannot believe how relieved and excited I am to be back in the comforts of my own car.  The last 4 days were hell (or the like); public transportation bites (esp. in NYC).  Getting hit on by random strangers and weirdos at 8 o'clock in the morning is NOT a good way to start off your day.  I don't care what anyone says.   Anyway, thanks to all those who agree with me that females are perhaps the worst drivers out there.  And for those who don't, consider yourselves lucky... for now  ;)     

dang, you are hot.  A little too animated for my tastes, but we can work on that

Now that's comedy.

thechoson

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2004, 11:16:47 AM »

Would you like me to draw in some lines?

thechoson

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2004, 11:24:03 AM »
I will add my 2 cents about female drivers. 

Statistically, they get in less accidents than their male counterparts (hence lower insurance rates).  However, those statistics could be flawed by some factors- moms that drive with kids, hence being more cautious.  Also, men are drawn more towards sportier cars, which are more likely to get in accidents.

Now, what consitutes good driving?  Well, you need a level of physical skills.  This is why old people should not be allowed to drive, cause once you hit a certain age, your reflexes (which are key to driving) slow down.  For example, if a car ever pulls into my lane, I process that action and drive my car out of harm's way simultaneously.  If you have slow reflexes, it doesn't work that way.

Now having said that, women may have lesser physical skills and reflexes than men, but that has nothing to do with everyday driving, cause you only need a certain level of those physical skills, which females are more than capable of handling.  Thus in this sense, females do not lack anything.

The problem sometimes is when women drive cars that are too big for them.  Some really tiny ass girl will be driving a Suburban, and that will freak the *&^% out of me.  My gf drives a Civic, and she drives that very well and safely. Put her behind the wheel of a De Ville, and the equation changes.

Ok, the conclusion is, females ARE slightly lesser drivers, because of the marginal differences that show up in crucial moments.  All things being equal, if you are driving at 70 mph, every split second, and the importance of such, become magnified exponentially.  In times like this, women's slightly slower reflexes (again all things being equal) might be a hindrance.

But only slightly.

Miltra

• Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2004, 11:47:08 AM »
I will add my 2 cents about female drivers. 

Statistically, they get in less accidents than their male counterparts (hence lower insurance rates).  However, those statistics could be flawed by some factors- moms that drive with kids, hence being more cautious.  Also, men are drawn more towards sportier cars, which are more likely to get in accidents.

This is the most ridiculous thing I ever read!  Sportier cars are only more likely to have accidents because stupid men are driving them too fast.  If anything, those cars should be safer (barring being hit by a larger car, which has little to do with the innate safeness of a car) because they have better handling and are lower to the ground. 

The problem sometimes is when women drive cars that are too big for them.  Some really tiny ass girl will be driving a Suburban, and that will freak the *&^% out of me.  My gf drives a Civic, and she drives that very well and safely. Put her behind the wheel of a De Ville, and the equation changes.

Wait, I take that back.  THIS is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.  Too big?  Oh yeah, like the 20 extra pounds you may have is going to make a difference in turning a 2000 lbs. vehicle with power steering.  Let me repeat that--power steering.  This feature means that strength has nothing to do with the ability to turn a corner. The difficulty in turning 2000 lbs was the major reason they invented it.  WTF?  And my reaction time being slower?  Is that beacuse my brains are in my breats and the visual images have farther to travel?

I know that I am getting too upset about this and that you are probably just kidding.  It just gets under my skin that people could actually rationalize these things.  If women are statistically found to get in less accidents, it would seem to me that the "women are worse drivers" statement is pretty much wrong.  And don't give me that soccer mom bullsh*t.  It doesn't matter why peole are cautious--men could be more cautious than women because they are more concerned about their car.  And what century do you live in that men don't drive their kids around?  Anyway, I think these arguments are pointless because everyone argues with their little vignette about a bad woman driver and ignores the stats.

I am now dismounting my soapbox...

Jrtzsweetie

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2004, 12:08:37 PM »
Sure, but you gotta stay within in the lines. If not, I might just have to spank you  :P ;)  But then again, you may like that sort of thing.

thechoson

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2004, 01:36:30 PM »
Miltra, since you are new to this board, I will take it easy on you and try to be nice.  So instead of calling my arguments stupid, why don't you ask for an explanation?

2000 lb car?  Sorry, even compacts like Mazda 3s tip in at 3000 these days.  And no, driving a car like this and an SUV is not a 20 pound difference.  A full size SUV can hit 4500 lbs plus.  And trust me, in that critical situation when you are trying to avoid an accident, physical strength and reflex speed (both of which is slightly slower in the average female than male) can come into play.  So there you go for that one.

Sportier cars do get into more accidents EXACTLY because stupid men are drawn to them and drive them. However, you merely strengthened my argument, because that is exactly the point.  Statistically, because of factors like this, men get in more accidents.  But that has nothing to do with the driving ABILITY of females vs. males, which is what I am trying to go for here.  I am saying ignore that statistical anomaly, that all things being equal, a male driving a 3000 lb Toyota Camry has better skill, on average, than a female driving a 3000 lb Toyota Camry.  Again, like I said, it is a very miniscule difference.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2004, 03:01:17 PM »
male drivers are only considered bad drivers because we drive aggresively and often speed, though not necessarily recklessly...

but nothing is more infuriating than a female driver... i agree with sweetie... they are so goddamn indecisive, forget to use their f-ing turn signals, NEVER stop behind the stop sign at an intersection to a busy road, go about 20 miles below the speed limit when they're looking for something (as opposed to pulling over and figuring it out), don't seem to care that someone is driving next to them when they decide they want to change lanes, and the worst thing of all is that THEY have the nerve to get pissed at YOU whenever they do the stupid *&^% that they do and almost cause and accident.

female drivers are the worst... the worst

There are plenty of examples of bad male drivers.

Once again I see my fellow engineer Ginatio has beet me to the proverbial punch. Let me just add an AMEN and a resounding I KNOW THAT'S RIGHT to the previous post.  Female drivers make me wanna carry a gun in my car at all times...