Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The In-State difference  (Read 1400 times)

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
The In-State difference
« on: July 09, 2004, 01:14:05 PM »
How much of a difference does being an in state residence make. Specifically at Michigan.
Would an in-state 3.6 (Mech. E.) with a 171 be pretty much a guranteed admit?  Or just have a good shot (50-60%)?
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

puss puss

Re: The In-State difference
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 03:13:32 PM »
I don't know anything about Michigan, but I believe at UT Austin, only a certain percentage of out-of-staters are accepted.  But even if you are a resident, to be admitted, your scores have to be pretty good. 

dta

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 03:32:52 PM »
By state law, 80% of the students UT accepts each year must be texas residents. YEEEEHAAAAAW! I'm almost done w/ "How to Get Into the Top Law Schools" by Montauk. In it, he specifically mentions Michigan as one state school that doesn't seem to favor in-state students much.

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 03:44:24 PM »
What about Boalt?  do they favor in-state?

pidge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 06:36:45 PM »
I don't know if this makes a difference, but I applied to 14 schools. I was dinged at all schools out of state, from 1st tier to 4th tier. However, I was accepted at all 3 in-state (NYS) schools, both 2nd and 3rd tier. I think there definitly must be some preference.

dta

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 07:09:40 PM »
I don't know if this makes a difference, but I applied to 14 schools. I was dinged at all schools out of state, from 1st tier to 4th tier. However, I was accepted at all 3 in-state (NYS) schools, both 2nd and 3rd tier. I think there definitly must be some preference.

what are your #'s?

Section Eight

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 09:38:37 PM »
UVA tries to take around 50% in-state.  2003 numbers was only 44% though.

Jason