Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: "Awesome/Great" LORs and PS  (Read 1755 times)

Dirt McGirt

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love Meg White.
    • View Profile
"Awesome/Great" LORs and PS
« on: November 22, 2005, 01:32:45 AM »
It seems a bit suspect that EVERYONE claims to have these. Particularly the LORs.
I'm done with apps...waiting to visit schools and make a decision.

RocketBot

Re: "Awesome/Great" LORs and PS
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 01:38:26 AM »
Do that many people actually "know" their LORs are great-great-great?  I only read one of my three, and it was excellent, but it's hard to say without actually having read the other ones.

I'd think it's much more common to say "amazing PS" than anything else.  I have a hard time believing the "amazing PS" line though-- maybe you accomplished what you set out to communicate, but that doesn't mean the adcomm is gonna jump on the table and start headbanging after reading yours.

Dirt McGirt

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love Meg White.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 01:41:39 AM »
I agree with you... That was kinda my point. No LOR is going to be BAD. Many will be generic, however, and it seems that everyone equates positivity with greatness. I don't know why everyone believes that they have a "great" or "amazing" PS. I thought mine was good, but I have no idea how it might compare to the rest of the applicant pool.
I'm done with apps...waiting to visit schools and make a decision.

SCgrad

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 05:50:28 AM »
I equated the quality of my LORs to the profs that wrote them.  One of them came from a teacher who worked full time as a lawyer for a huge company.  He practically begged students to ask him to write letters for them.  The other was good too.  Both were professors I had, both lawyers, I think that is pretty good.

jhare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 06:49:35 AM »
I think one of my LOR is fine, and the other outstanding. I am close personal friends with the professor who wrote it, and she wrote a letter that got me my current job. After I was hired, the head of the school I'm at asked about her and said that she had had amazing things to say about me.

I don't think I've done anything to piss her off in the interim.

jgatsby

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 08:16:31 AM »
I think I will have great lors.  One of the people I'm asking wrote me one for a scholarship last year, which I got to read.  It was really glowing.  I had some great ones in high school too.  One teacher said "the most innately bright person I've ever met", which I think is awesome.  My ps will probably be good. I write great short essays and my ps for college was kept by my guidance counselor and is used with my permission as an example now. 

practiceboy02

• Sr. Citizen
  • Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 08:34:36 AM »
In my LSN profile, I put that I had "good (but probably not great" LORs" and that I thought my PS was "pretty strong."  I guess that still makes me seem big-headed but not nearly as much as most people on this board.

I really honestly believe that the vast majority of LORs and PS's (probably over 50%) end up neither hurting nor helping an applicant

hummer69

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 08:58:49 AM »
Of my two LORs I honestly think one is very good merely because the professor who wrote it was my professor for two consecutive quarters.  Also, both classes were graduate level courses and I was only a sophomore.  I wrote an 80 page paper on the effect of 16th century Dutch Humanism on the development of Germanic languages.  I received an A in both classes.

I feel as though this professor will speak highly of me, but I agree that LORs are probably only used as a tie-breaker between two similar candidates.
English Majors and LSAT are not not friends

LSAT - Waiting
GPA - 3.65

Apps in at - Michigan, UVA, Emory, WUSTL, Wake, Miami

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Sr. Citizen
  • Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 09:20:10 AM »
I think my LORs will be good .  One is from a prof who wrote "What are your plans for the future?  I think you'd do very well in law school" on a paper without knowing I was considering it, and then asked me for a copy of that paper for writing the rec (I'd been planning on offering it, but she requested it without prompting).  And the other is from a prof who I had four classes with, and who used one of my projects during his tenure review process.

But I don't think that means they're going to be amazing or outstanding or anything.  Just run-of-the-mill good; won't help me, won't hurt me.

And I think my PS establishes that I can write decently, but that's about it.

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 09:25:18 AM »
I really honestly believe that the vast majority of LORs and PS's (probably over 50%) end up neither hurting nor helping an applicant

Amen to that.  Basically, if you know what you are doing (and if you are posting here, you're 90% of the way there), then it's practically a given that you're going to have good-to-great LORs and a good-to-great PS - just like everybody else who's done the research to figure out how the admissions game is played. 

Where it will help is when you get compared against the applicants who just go through the motions - with LORs like "Joe Schmoe was a good student in my class, I gave him a B+.  Other than that, I don't really know him that well..." and a PS that explains they really have wanted to be a lawyer since they were 5 years old because their dad was one and they want to correct all the injustice in the world.

So, your LORs and PS won't really give you an edge against me (your GPA and LSAT have already done that!  :)), but both of us should get the edge on poor old Joe.
Emory '09

LSN