Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone read Scott Turow's One L?  (Read 2380 times)

Spiderman

Anyone read Scott Turow's One L?
« on: July 30, 2001, 10:39:11 AM »
Everything I've heard about this book is that it will just make me not want to go to law school.  Still, it shows up on all sorts of suggested reading lists for the 1L-to-be.  Anyone read it?  Thoughts?

Cheri

Re: Anyone read Scott Turow's One L?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2001, 03:29:52 PM »
I am just finishing this book.  It hasn't scared me away yet :)  It has a lot to do with the study group he joins and it does go into the feelings of anticipation of waiting to be called on in class.  There is one professor that probably shouldn't be teaching any more but other than that, its just your basic first year stuff.  Go ahead, give it a read.  He talks a lot about is emotions during the first year.  I'm sure I'll have some of the same.  Nice to know I won't be alone.

Red

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2001, 01:59:33 PM »
I read it about 3 months ago and I'm still applying to Law School.  If anything, it gave me a glimpse of what to expect, but I'm not afraid.  I would suggest you read it, but remember that Scott had the contract to write this book before he entered law school...  Take it for what it's worth

Jube

• Fear the Terriers. Woof Woof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2001, 02:23:11 PM »
Nah, it won't be as bad as One L. I have a professor who's known to be a nightmare in class and he's nothing like Kingsfield. He's a socratic teacher, but he's polite and professional. I actually quite like him.

Now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll be called on tomorrow. :P

Terri

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2001, 08:06:03 AM »
I read this book three months ago and I love the book.  He gave me a taste of what law school will be for me or anyone.  It didn't scare me to not follow my dreams but the opposite.  I was even more eager to attend law school.  Enjoy reading the book and best wishes for you and every future law student including myself.  See you guys in  court in the future(maybe)  ;D  

wendi

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 02:40:54 PM »
I read One L when I first started thinking about law school.  It is actually a good read and I had a hard time putting it down.  Turow takes you through the trials, tribulations, and emotions he experienced in his first year of law school.  It seemed exhausting at first, but I feel like I have some idea of what to expect now.  I am re-reading it now that I know for sure I am going to law school in the fall.  I highly recommend that you take a look at it.

Jon Berning

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 02:54:53 AM »
Read Brush With the Law...fairly new book about a student from Harvard and a student from Stanford Law.  

dogtown

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2002, 08:47:37 AM »
The books an interesting read.  Only thing is, after being in law school a year and a half, I can tell you the book is nothing like lawschool.