Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PS services  (Read 438 times)

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
PS services
« on: July 09, 2004, 09:02:20 AM »
I see quite a few people advocating this Essayedge.com service.  While there is probably no chance that I will use it, I was wondering if any people here did.  It seems that schools would be wise to these services and the types of essays that they "produce".  Maybe I just can't get past the idea of paying for help on my essay.  It seems to be close to some ethical boundary.  The PS seems like the most personal part of the app, and it should be the part where you represent yourself the most honestly.  Am I totally off base here?  I am new to this type of thing.

LSATGuru

Re: PS services
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 09:08:58 AM »
I used the service, and I have no ethical qualms with it.  The Personal Statement described in the law school applications doesn't say they are looking to see if you're a magnificient writer, they only want to find out things that they would have otherwise gotten from a personal interview.  This means that the better you are at writing, the more you can cogently fit into 2 pages about yourself thus creating the effect of a longer and more interesting interview.

I used EssayEdge.com (obviously, considering I've been pervading it throughout this website) and it's not like they have a master template that is like playing adlibs as a kid.  I filled out a lengthy questionaire, was interviewed on the phone, and based on those very personal interviews my editor suggested ideas for my PS and helped me write an outline.  After that, I wrote the first draft and he polished it nicely.

If you already have a first draft written they have less expensive services where all they do is improve your verbiage, flow, and organization.  I recommend reading some of their "before and afters" and you'll realize that in no way do they write essays for their clients.  They simply make them read much better so that when a dean is on Personal Statement 998 for the day he doesn't have to read another statement that starts with "My grandparents emigrated to Ellis Island in 1923 and from that date on my family would be changed forever." 

I see quite a few people advocating this Essayedge.com service.  While there is probably no chance that I will use it, I was wondering if any people here did.  It seems that schools would be wise to these services and the types of essays that they "produce".  Maybe I just can't get past the idea of paying for help on my essay.  It seems to be close to some ethical boundary.  The PS seems like the most personal part of the app, and it should be the part where you represent yourself the most honestly.  Am I totally off base here?  I am new to this type of thing.

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 09:15:48 AM »
I looked it over a bit more, and it does seem different that what I was thinking.  I just had images of those sites that people use to buy term papers at.  I had a friend bought two or three term papers every semester and got A's consistently.  It made me sick.  If he wasn't such a good friend, I would have turned him in.  That's all I could think about when I heard about this site.

LSATGuru

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 10:38:53 AM »
Like I said, it's very reputable.  My Editor graduated from Columbia University with a degree in English. They have hundreds of Editors working for them--they've received accolades from the New York Times, Washington Post, and other well-known publications.

My Editor was able to capture everything that I was trying to get across effectively.  I tend to write choppily and make some oblique statements, and he brought it all together and made it flow like the Mississippi. 

I looked it over a bit more, and it does seem different that what I was thinking.  I just had images of those sites that people use to buy term papers at.  I had a friend bought two or three term papers every semester and got A's consistently.  It made me sick.  If he wasn't such a good friend, I would have turned him in.  That's all I could think about when I heard about this site.