Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School Specific Evaluation Forms  (Read 2147 times)

newy

School Specific Evaluation Forms
« on: July 08, 2004, 08:27:51 PM »
Most schools seem to have their own evaluation forms that they want the recommenders to fill out alongside the letter of recommendation.  Since applications aren't out yet, neither are these forms.  I don't want to ask my recommenders for the letters now and then come back to them in September with a stack of evaluation forms for them to hurry up and complete, but I also don't want to wait until September because I want to apply early in the rolling admissions process. 

How is everyone planning to deal with this?  Are the evaluation forms required or just a nice extra?  Can I use last year's?

newy

Re: School Specific Evaluation Forms
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 09:54:35 PM »
So they can eat ass is pretty much all I got out of that one... :) Any conclusions??

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 10:35:27 PM »
ill say this.  if it were my first choice of school, i would accomodate them.  my first choice does not have this policy though.  alll others are going to have to learn to appreciate what they get.

like american u with there "we are particularly interested in" for the PS.... they are getting the same stuff i send elsewhere.  maybe i will slightly tweak a sentence or two.  but safety schools get the no frills approach from me.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 10:43:40 PM »
I was actually pretty concerned about this issue too.  I guess its a good way for law schools to see if you're truly interested in attending their school.  Let me know what conclusion you come to Newy cause I really have no idea how I'm planning on handling this.   

nathanielmark

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 10:46:53 PM »
i would say if the school is a reach or a maybe and you really want to attend you should accomodate them.  but i also tend to think that they may realize people get LORs done over the summer before they even look at apps.  i just dont see that being a reason to swing a decision one way or the other on its own.

I was actually pretty concerned about this issue too.  I guess its a good way for law schools to see if you're truly interested in attending their school.  Let me know what conclusion you come to Newy cause I really have no idea how I'm planning on handling this.   

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 10:52:53 PM »
I think you're prolly right Green.  I can't see LORs as being something that play a major role in getting you into a law school.  They seem more like something that can mostly hurt your application if they aren't of quality or perhaps say something negative about you.  Unless of course its an outstanding LOR, from say, a well known alumni.

newy

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 11:34:49 PM »
I have a 3.8 from a top 50 ug and a 177 on my lsat.  I'm applying to schools ranked 1-6 plus Boalt.  I think all (correct me if I'm wrong) of these schools have their own recommendation form.  Basically, I'm asking if my numbers are good enough that I can skip this formality.  Or do you think it's not worth risking it with these schools? 

Thanks for your input you guys, I appreciate it.

dta

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 11:44:22 PM »
I looked at a couple of the top 5 application form pages and remember seeing on a couple that they mentioned preferring your apps be sent in via LSACD-on-the-Web. That seems to indicate a desire to have everything, including LOR's, go through LSDAS.

Perhaps the specific LOR forms you mention are from years past before LSACD-on-the-web became prominent?

For example, check out Harvard:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/admissions/jd/apply.php

newy

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 01:14:25 AM »
DTA, thanks for checking that out.  I think that's a good sign.