Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reading Comp...I can't read fast enough...  (Read 8509 times)

Rachel_G

• View Profile
Reading Comp...I can't read fast enough...
« on: July 08, 2004, 04:24:38 PM »
Hi, everyone,

I am posting my message for the fisrt time.  I am so glad that I found such an informational site!!!

I am planning to take Oct LSAT.  But reading comp is killing me because I cannot read fast enough. I guess, this is because I am not a native English speaker.  If someone knows a good way to improve my speed reading skill or to study RC sections, please please let me know.  Thanks :(

nathanielmark

Re: Reading Comp...I can't read fast enough...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 04:31:10 PM »
this might be tough.  but the obvious answer for your typical primary english speakers is to read a ton of well written stuff. economist, new york times, wall street journal, atlantic monthly, scientific american, academic journals.  if you can devote enough time doing this, i would think you in particular would experience a very steep speed increase relative to others.  you will need to spend a great deal of your time reading, but i think it can be done (contingent on how strong your english already is)

Rachel_G

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 06:21:12 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion.  My English is fine...for the most part.   It's just that those reading comp articles are often so boring that I lose my focus easily...My scores on LR and LG are decent.  But I can only do two reading comp problems in the given time.  It's so frustrating.  At this point, I would do anything to improve my score.

LSATGuru

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 06:50:27 PM »
Get the Eye Q program off kazaa, that helped me increase my reading speed.

If you think that the reading comprehension topics are boring, then you may not fare well in law school as reading cases is equally boring.

Thank you for the suggestion.  My English is fine...for the most part.   It's just that those reading comp articles are often so boring that I lose my focus easily...My scores on LR and LG are decent.  But I can only do two reading comp problems in the given time.  It's so frustrating.  At this point, I would do anything to improve my score.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 07:58:37 PM »
just search for "eye q" on kazaa?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 08:55:45 PM »
i posted something like this before and a few people disagreed, but i never really read the RC section-- just skim through it and then look back to find the answers to the Qs-- and i got 27/28 on the june lsat. it might be worth a try if speed is bogging you down.

shortbus

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 09:01:40 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion.  My English is fine...for the most part.   It's just that those reading comp articles are often so boring that I lose my focus easily...

You lose your focus in 300 words? Good luck in law school

nathanielmark

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 10:43:54 PM »
hmmm...  i should have tried this.  this is actually what i did back when i tested in 98.  My RC performance had been pretty consistent though.  i am now thinking that this strategy could have been very helpful to the june RC in particular...

but lexy you should qualify by saying you have a masters in literature or something like that, im not sure we all would have enjoyed the same success

i posted something like this before and a few people disagreed, but i never really read the RC section-- just skim through it and then look back to find the answers to the Qs-- and i got 27/28 on the june lsat. it might be worth a try if speed is bogging you down.

Rachel_G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 01:27:16 PM »

I think this may actually work for me.  I have tried this method when I was running out of time in a RC section before.  I did ok on the section but for some readon I've never thought that it could be the way to do RC.  It is definitely worth trying (so is Eye Q from kazzaa, thank you). Thank you for the advice.  And thank you all of you who posted a suggestion (and opinion?).  They are very helpful and encouraging.  I really really appreciate all :).

arc87

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • ScenarioSolver
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 02:15:23 PM »
Take your pencil and move it along the lines as you read.  This will help you focus visually, and increase rhythm.  This really is helping me.

I know it sounds cheesy, but it really helps.
LSAT Logic Games Expert
www.scenariosolver.com