Law School Discussion

Ask a current law student

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a current law student
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 11:40:15 AM »
planetlawschool should satisfy you. it is not taylored to us, but then again, neither are exams. this book will lead to others and still others. pace yourself. we don't want you to burn out.

what was funny?
i have 6 finals and a virology paper due for next week. many 1L and 2Ls have outlines to do and finals to prepare for. with all this, you ask for a quality answer. that...is...funny! come on now.

eveything about you seems intense, and slightly anti-social. your name is in caps and your posts seem to 'browbeat' your points. maybe a tad bit of masked insecurity? if so, shrugg it off blackman! you are a star.

we are all family here, no need to impress us.

Young Esq.

• B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 11:44:32 AM »
what was funny?
i have 6 finals and a virology paper due for next week. many 1L and 2Ls have outlines to do and finals to prepare for. with all this, you ask for a quality answer. that...is...funny! come on now.

moved and properly 2d. Are we ready for the question (hell no we're studying ask us later)  ;D

maxambit

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 12:12:16 PM »
shaz:

Thanks for the tip on planetlawschool.

Now I understand why my post was funny/absurd to you. Iím working on a few philosophy papers, but I only have two written exams to prepare for. It was probably bad timing for the questions.

The intensity you perceive might result from our lack of familiarity. However, even those who know me well have told me that my writing often comes across as intense. I may be coming across as intense because Iím in analytical philosophy mode on these papers. Focusing on semantics, syntax, and minute details in arguments.

I'm neither falsely modest nor falsely immodest. I try not to feign humility, when I act humbly I do so authentically, and I evaluate my talents accurately.

I do not seek to impress, only to learn. It is difficult to impress someone while hiding behind an alias.

But, I do have a healthy dose, and not a bit more, of self-doubt. While I may be a "star," as you put it (no doubt affectionately), I believe myself to be far from perfect.

Thanks, shaz and Young !!!, for welcoming me to the family. Damn, ya'll remind me of my cold-blooded cousins back in Long Beach! :)

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 12:30:36 PM »
i'm done with this degree in 10 days. i have a copy of planet lawschool myself. i have plans for the next 6-9 months:
1. get a second job (pay off the cc)
2. read planet law school
3. get some prep in (there is much debate on this)
4. work on my typing
5. find out where i'm going
6. relocate (early) i gotta find a house to rent
7. go to milan (i been sayin that for years)
8. start law school

this is my plan to "dominate."  ;)

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 12:52:15 PM »
i'm done with this degree in 10 days. i have a copy of planet lawschool myself. i have plans for the next 6-9 months:
1. get a second job (pay off the cc)
2. read planet law school
3. get some prep in (there is much debate on this)
4. work on my typing
5. find out where i'm going
6. relocate (early) i gotta find a house to rent
7. go to milan (i been sayin that for years)
8. start law school

this is my plan to "dominate."  ;)

Chat rooms and/or AIM. Seriously. They help you get your typing up to speed QUICK  ;D And from what I understand, being able to type reallyfast is a great skill for exams.

Young Esq.

• B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 12:57:32 PM »
being able to type reallyfast is a great skill for exams.

Not if you like me and you type faster than you think  :(  You'll be half way though your exam and have no clue what you justed typed. Sints I write out my exams. Thank God for practice exams that don't count to show you you're flaws

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 01:17:09 PM »
max, search lsd for prepping for law school threads, plenty of answers there.  you'll find that prepping is semi contorversial in that some people think it is worthless and others are undeterred.  I prepped before law school but havent gotten my grades back so I wont know if it helped all that much.  I would say that if you are going to prep then just work on one course and try to master it.  Doing three or four courses is ridic and it is impossible to get out of them very much.  If you want to crawl before you walk , then start with torts: Examples& Exlplanations by Glannon and practice working on long hypotheticals by separating the parties and the claims for each party.  good luck

ps dont be one of those people that seeks to dominate and shows his ass in class everyday because everyone will hate you

HTH

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 02:04:20 PM »
Max, I've been trying to follow your posts since you've arrivded on the board, but with some difficulty.

As the others have mentioned, its a bit intense, but that's not the problem for me.  I approached law school with an inensity like no other.  I still do.  Its a way of life for me, whereas its just another degree for some of my classmates.

My problem stems from what Blk Reign & 3Peat have mentioned, the approach.

For example, your post asks for the opinion of black students on this board who are in the top 3% of their class.  Begging the question, so what about the student in the top 4%?  The top 5%?  Is being in the top 5% not achievement enough to be able to offer advice that Maxambit will listen to? I don't think this is your intent, but this is how it may come off.

Contrary to what the "numbers whores" may have to say, I think many of us are dominating in our respective law schools.  Not to mention we happen to attend some of the best law schools in our respective regions of the country.  That being said, again, the approach leaves something to be desired...  I think one of the first posts you put up was something to the effect of seeking advice or questions from those students who only attend the USNew's top 14 ranked schools.  I can see facially, why one would make such an inquiry.  One would assume that these are the top legal minds right?  I mean obviously, if a student has made it into one of these schools then they must be doing SOMETHING right.  Right?

Practically speaking however, the margin in overall individual achievement between a student attending a T14 school and a non T14 is very slim.  We're talking about the difference between a single letter of rec, or a family connection, or an easier class load in undergrad, or literally, the difference between a few correctly guessed answers on the LSAT v. a few missed answers on the same LSAT.  Again, begging the question, what can a student with a say, 166 tell you that a student with a 164 can't?  I guessed C when I should have put B?  Within that close of a margin its all arbitrary.

But these are all collateral issues.  Your primary concern, correct me if I'm wrong,  is to collect enough data to make a valid scientific prediction on what it takes to succeed in law school correct?  Well if that is the premise from which we are to base our line of questioning, then it would follow that you should be asking ALL black law students (and lawyers) who have made impressive strides of achievement to arrive where they are and who have positioned themselves for greatness in the near future.

My brother, I feel your scope is too narrowly tailored to achieve what you're trying to do.

maxambit

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 03:07:13 PM »
I thank everyone for his or her time, good advice, and good humor.

I'm working on the intensity issue. Please be patient with a Brother.

I come from a professional environment that is a way more intense than this, one in which you kick ass or get yours kicked. I'm working on making the adjustment, while keeping that edge that entrepreneurs must have. You all are helping me to make an important transition into a T14 law school environment. Iím going to a T14. This is why I ask about T14s. Although, I would like to hear from anyone willing to give me something I canít read in a book or on a law school website.

I see this Board as a resource. I'm hopeful you all intend for it to be a resource. We need more Black students dominating in law school (without trying to show off or raise their hands to answer every question). We need more Black lawyers dominating in the real world (especially in business where your success is measured by how well you kick your opponentsí ass). We need more Black law professors (who must finish at the top of their class and write great papers and books to protect against accusations that they got hired only for diversity's sake). And, we just need more Black people dominating in whatever they choose to do.

I'm here to help you (I'm not going to law school looking to start a career, I'm deep into one already). And, Iím hopeful you are here to help me. Help me dominate! Unless you think shooting for the very top of top law school is a bad thing, help this Black man dominate. That's what I'm asking. I have the skills and the resources to do it. Help me do it.

If you want to try your hand at entrepreneurship in my home state, then I would make sure that you would dominate as much as I have, and almost as much as I shall (one of us has to be the top dog entrepreneur, and the number one spot won't be taken from me easily once I seize it in 10-15 years).

I'm still feeling my way through and you all are feeling me out. So let me tell you a little about why I am the way I am. I have read this Board for a few months, and I'm pretty sure Iím the only one of my kind posting. However, I know you all have something to teach me, so I plugged in. I value your wisdom.

WHO/WHAT AM I?

I'm a workaholic, readaholic, and writaholic, and I love it. A character straight out of an Ayn Rand novel. And, I covet efficiency and productivity, because I donít like to waste any time. I know how much each hour of my waking life is worth right now, and before I spend my time on something, I normally do a cost benefit analysis. Law school will cost me many times more in opportunity costs than in tuition and books. I donít let anything stand in my way; I make everyone around me more competitive and stronger; and I think big. And, after I think big, I do it big. I donít leave anyone behind who's on my side. Those on the other side get blasted.

Good for business. Not so good for relationships. But those who are close to me get a loyal, hardworking friend, who never lies, never bullshits, and never lets them down. I get it done...every timeóthoroughly.

I have a lot of things I want, perhaps need, to do before I take my final nap. And, I have a sense of urgency that may be hard wired. So please don't take offense. Please do continue to give me suggestions about my tone and word choices. Iíll blend in slowly. And, please help me dominate this law school game from 2006-2009.

If or when you need me on the other side of law school, if or when you grow tired of earning $100,000 to 200,000/year when you're really worth $500,000/year or more, then I might be able to help you dominate too.

TrojanChispas

• , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 03:08:22 PM »
True. Also, people in top law schools have a different experience than those in lesser ranked ones.  Where I go, the curve is forced to a B, which is wildly different from other law schools and may requre a different approach to getting a top grade.  Top 3%?  man, I would be exstatic if I was in the top 25%.