Law School Discussion

diminutives

lexylit

diminutives
« on: July 08, 2004, 12:12:46 PM »
am wondering why people say "thanks, smokey"

also have been repeatedly called grasshopper of late by various parties. must be from a movie, yes? why am i a grasshopper?

apologies for random post but if anynoe would know, you all would

lp4law

• super genius
    • View Profile
Re: diminutives
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 12:29:30 PM »
"Grasshopper" was the name of the main character in the TV show "Kung Fu."  In the show he would flash back to his days in training, where his master would say something like "Grasshopper -- When you can pull the pebble from my hand, then you will be ready."  Some *&^% like that.  Eventually he snatched that pebble, and went on to travel the world kicking much ass.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 03:41:46 PM »
am wondering why people say "thanks, smokey"

Maybe its all that weed you're smoking?

EnglishToLaw

• Bow ties: quintessential legal fashion accessories
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 05:14:17 PM »
Smokey could be a reference to Smokey the Bear. Are you the safety type? Always moving ladders placed precariously throughout the office? There was a Burt Reynolds movie called "Smokey and the Bandit," but you're no CB aficionada, are you?  ;)

lexylit

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 05:15:36 PM »
what if i were allegedly that smokey. that wouldnt make me the burt reynolds character would it?

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 01:10:32 AM »
Think that might be bert behind you in your avatar, smokey.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 01:33:57 AM »
Mr. Reynolds is the bandit.  I think Smokey was like a dead guy or something.  I don't remember.  I was very young when I saw that movie.

dsong02

• small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 12:23:03 PM »
Mr. Reynolds is the bandit.  I think Smokey was like a dead guy or something.  I don't remember.  I was very young when I saw that movie.

smokey was the police. 
smokey was also a bear.
smokey was my dorm room frosh, soph years in college.
smokey was my apartments before getting married.

if someone calls you a grasshopper, they MUST say it with the chinese accent...otherwise, theyre just calling you an insect.  and they must preface the word with 'my little' or 'my young' in order to mean it like they said it in kung fu.  that was a damn good show, though i hated david carradine.  how the hell did he pass for a chink?

lexylit

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 12:31:19 PM »
yes, they are usually purporting to be older and wiser.

in fact they have usually already taken on lsats, bar exams, etc and so like to impart wisdom to the young & the clueless

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 12:33:44 PM »

smokey was the police. 
smokey was also a bear.
smokey was my dorm room frosh, soph years in college.
smokey was my apartments before getting married.

if someone calls you a grasshopper, they MUST say it with the chinese accent...otherwise, theyre just calling you an insect.  and they must preface the word with 'my little' or 'my young' in order to mean it like they said it in kung fu.  that was a damn good show, though i hated david carradine.  how the hell did he pass for a chink?

Hate David Carradine?  Did you see Kill Bill?  David Carradine kicks ass.