Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Chapman clueless?  (Read 593 times)

Wild Hearted Son

• 167, 3.5
    • View Profile
Is Chapman clueless?
« on: November 16, 2005, 02:27:39 PM »
So I was thinking of applying to Chapman because they have a good reputation in Orange County.  I talked to them at the law school forum and all their representatives where very confused about fee waivers. I was told to email them to ask about it.  So I email them to see if they are going to send out fee waivers.  I also tell them my numbers.  I get back an email stating that if I want a fee waiver I need to send my tax return from last year!  Um yeah no!  Are they determined to stay at tier 4.  Im not sure if I want to even apply now, if they are this clueless.
Guns n Roses: USD, Colorado, Loyola LA, Pepperdine($$)
Poison (WL): Nowhere
Michael Bolton: Texas, Georgetown, Michigan

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is Chapman clueless?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 02:28:28 PM »
Sounds like they think you're looking for a need-based, rather than merit-based, fee waiver.

Wild Hearted Son

• 167, 3.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 02:38:57 PM »
At the law school forum they made it seem like they only knew of need based fee waivers and had no clue what a merit based waiver was.

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 02:46:12 PM »
I think they are rather stingy with the fee waivers. My friend has a 164/3.8 and is currently going to Chapman undergrad and they did not send him a fee waiver.

The school is nice and everything. However, Wild Hearted Son, why not apply to other schools? I would think Chapman would be your ultra ultra safety. Unless, if you just got out of jail and went there for killing baby bunnies. Also, I do not see why Loyola, Pepperdine, and USD would not accept you with money. 
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 03:13:23 PM »
Chapman depresses me. My mom and dad not too seriously suggested I go there, and I laughed in their faces. It's kind of their alma mater, and how they met, though...

Good liberal arts college-could be a good law school. But not yet.

Wild Hearted Son

• 167, 3.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 04:04:26 PM »
Thanks Rocky, I did apply to all the other schools you suggested. I just thought Chapman would be a chance at a good scholarship, and I like the area and law building.

Skeptic

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 04:23:11 PM »
yeah i also noticed how uninformed law school representatives can be at these forums.  I was talking to this lady from UC hastings asking her whether they see a difference between a rigorous major and a not-so rigorous major, and she stated that two people are preceived equally (if they have same GPA) regardless of major/school, which i thought was such BS!  How the @#!* are they gonna compare a sociology major with a hard major like engineering..JUST makes no sense.
oh and if you already dont know, whittier is now on ABA probation

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 04:55:45 PM »
yeah i also noticed how uninformed law school representatives can be at these forums.  I was talking to this lady from UC hastings asking her whether they see a difference between a rigorous major and a not-so rigorous major, and she stated that two people are preceived equally (if they have same GPA) regardless of major/school, which i thought was such BS!  How the @#!* are they gonna compare a sociology major with a hard major like engineering..JUST makes no sense.
oh and if you already dont know, whittier is now on ABA probation

Wow, no kidding! Where did you hear that?

jays98978

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 08:25:45 PM »
2 replies:

1) A representative from UC Hastings told me the exact same thing - that neither major nor school makes a difference when comparing GPAs. Makes no sense.

2) I received a merit-based fee waiver from Chapman today.

jays98978

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 12:54:50 PM »
Also note that Chapman will NOT refund your application fee if you receive a fee waiver after you pay >:(