Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USA used white phosphorous chemical weapons in assault on Fallujah  (Read 6019 times)

Thikighoros

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: USA used white phosphorous chemical weapons in assault on Fallujah
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2005, 05:54:13 PM »
I am not concerned with people coming into the states as much as i am about materials like uranium.  Poeple are going to come and go and there is not much that can be done to filter the bad from the good, but the materials are a different story.  If we can't stop 500 tons per day of weed from coming in, how can we stop a nuke?

Yes, but it is people that bring the materials in. They don't come in by themselves. Even with nuclear missile, the missile-defense program was revived, (by Clinton of all people ) even though it was derided as a rehash of Reagan's "Star Wars" program.

If you can't control the people coming in, you can't stop the substances from doing the same.
I look forward to the day that I could say (God willing):

Είναι δικηγόρος στρατιωτικός.
(I am a military lawyer).

www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Thikighoros

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2005, 05:56:51 PM »
Theoretically yes, but practically no.  Almost all of the ilegal imigrants to the US come on foot.  A person is not going to carry a nuke in his backpack.  jsia
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2005, 06:09:38 PM »
Theoretically yes, but practically no.  Almost all of the ilegal imigrants to the US come on foot.  A person is not going to carry a nuke in his backpack.  jsia

What? haven't you seen the movies!!!  :P
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

skaiserbrown

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2005, 06:10:06 PM »
even a suitcase nuke is the size of a compact car.

i'd worry more about container ships.

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2005, 06:10:31 PM »

Exactly
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2005, 01:10:55 AM »

Exactly

yes. ditto!
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2005, 08:27:27 AM »
Iraq probes white phosphorous use

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraq has launched an investigation into allegations -- denied by the Pentagon -- that U.S. soldiers aimed artillery rounds of flammable white phosphorous at civilians.

Doctors and teams from Iraq's Health Ministry have been dispatched to Falluja "so we can get a real answer," acting Human Rights Minister Nermin Othman Hassan told a news conference on Thursday.

"In some cases (the injuries) can look like phosphorous, but it can be something else."

U.S. military officials confirmed Wednesday that its troops used white phosphorous during an offensive to rid Falluja of insurgents last November, but the officials denied an Italian documentary allegation that the weapon was aimed at civilians.

The documentary, on Italy's state-run RAI24 television news channel, showed what it claimed were badly burned victims.

A protocol to an accord on conventional weapons that came into force in 1983 forbids the use of incendiary weapons against civilians, Reuters reported.

Pentagon and military officials told CNN that white phosphorous was used in Falluja as a smoke screen to hide advancing U.S. troops as well as to target insurgents in trenches and "spider holes."

In an article in the March-April issue of Field Artillery magazine, soldiers said the white phosphorous was used to flush out insurgents so U.S. forces could target them with high explosives.

Pentagon officials said white phosphorous is a conventional weapon and is used for several purposes -- from creating smoke screens to marking targets -- and that it can be used against enemy combatants.

The Pentagon says the military use of white phosphorous is not illegal and that it is not considered a chemical weapon.

In 2004, the State Department said the United States had not used white phosphorous against enemy forces in the November offensive. Earlier this month, the department said that statement was incorrect.

"There is a great deal of misinformation feeding on itself about U.S. forces allegedly using 'outlawed' weapons in Falluja," the department said.

"The facts are that U.S. forces are not using any illegal weapons in Falluja or anywhere else in Iraq."

The 1993 protocol also bans their use against military targets near concentrations of civilians, except when they are clearly separated from civilians and "all feasible precautions" are taken to avoid civilian casualties, Reuters reported.

However, while the U.S. signed the overall accord, it did not ratify the incendiary-weapons protocol or another involving blinding laser weapons.

The United Nations issued a muted reaction on Thursday. Marie Okabe, deputy spokeswoman for U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan told a news briefing: "I just have two points on that issue. We are aware of the reported use of white phosphorous in Fallujah last year and are concerned about its possible effects on the local civilian population.

"We welcome the decision of the government of Iraq to launch an immediate investigation into this matter."

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2005, 12:17:00 PM »
As long as businesses from the huge companies like Walmart all the way down to small construction outfits can have a continuous supply of cheap labor like the way it is now, our borders are going to stay open like a bunny ranch.  Itís a great deal for America.  Back in the day they had to go out and search for slaves, now they just sit back and let them come to us.  Bushís guest worker program is about to open the flood gates even more.  When will America shore up the borders you ask?  NEVER! Itís simply not going to happen.

um, so we're just screwed then?

Unless you're a business owner..haha

I thought this was rather timely:

I was a slave

Nanny Hits L.I. couple with suit alleging years of abuse

By CATHERINE CLIFFORD
and BILL HUTCHINSON
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Ex-nanny Cindy Carter is supported by City Councilman Bill Perkins (D-Harlem) at midtown news conference yesterday. 

A former nanny hit a Long Island couple yesterday with a federal lawsuit, claiming she was treated like a virtual slave and subjected to regular beatings and racial slurs.
Cindy Carter, 31, portrayed Fontaine and Donald Sheridan as employers from hell, who paid her far below minimum wage for caring for their three children, and doing all the cooking and cleaning in their Massapequa Park home.

"Mrs. Sheridan would beat me and Mr. Sheridan would not do anything," Carter said yesterday at a news conference outside the midtown bank where Donald Sheridan works.

Carter, an undocumented immigrant from Barbados, claims she endured abuse for 2-1/2 years because Fontaine Sheridan threatened to have her deported if she complained. She was paid $300 a week.

In the lawsuit, filed in Brooklyn Federal Court, Carter outlines numerous incidents in which Fontaine Sheridan allegedly slapped her and spewed racial epithets.

She contends the abuse started shortly after she began working for the couple in December 2002, and continued until she quit over a violent encounter this summer that led to assault charges against Fontaine Sheridan.

Carter claims that on July 6, Fontaine Sheridan caused her "permanent injuries" when she pushed her down the steps of her home.

The charge was reduced to a noncriminal violation and Sheridan was ordered to complete 50 hours of community service, take an anger-management class and pay for Carter's medical expenses.

The Sheridans' lawyer, Vincent Ansanelli, called Carter's lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, unfounded. He insisted Fontaine Sheridan never used racial slurs when speaking to Carter, who he said was paid $500 a week.

Ansanelli denied Carter's abuse charges, claiming the nanny was provided with "a warm, loving household in which she participated fully."

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

Thikighoros

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2005, 03:51:40 PM »
She is an an undocumented immigrant, a.k.a. an ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT!

Nobody should be treated this way, but still, what do you expect? The reason why she was treated this way was because her employers knew she was an illegal immigrant. They would pull this off if she had a green card.

Also she's lucky that she knows English. It's even worse among non-English speakers.

However, her former employers should be put in prison for assault. She should also be deported; we should not be allowing illegals to stay, as with any illegal activity, they would encourage more law-breaking.

Now, if America didn't have illegal immigrants, this would not be happening.
I look forward to the day that I could say (God willing):

Είναι δικηγόρος στρατιωτικός.
(I am a military lawyer).

www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Thikighoros

skaiserbrown

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2005, 03:53:04 PM »
thick should be deported.