Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Clueless about FAFSA  (Read 623 times)

sarmstrong806

Clueless about FAFSA
« on: November 15, 2005, 01:20:55 PM »
I've never done any financial aid stuff so I have some questions.

My Dad will be paying for my living expenses but not my tuition in LS. Should I even bother filling out a FAFSA? If I do does he need to declare me an independent? I'm fairly sure his income and me as a dependent would rule out any money.

What is the best way to do it, and can I still get some good loans if it looks like I'm a dependent?

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Clueless about FAFSA
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 01:47:12 PM »
Well there are actually rules about whether you are considered dependent or not partly based on how much money your dad is giving you and in what form.  All students (who enroll at least half-time) can take out unsubsized stafford loans if they fill out the FAFSA.  I believe FAFSA considers all graduate students (including law) independent from their parents, but either way you still as a full-time student can take out those loans.  What you might gain from filling out the FAFSA is need-based grants and/or subsidized stafford loans.  But some schools also make you fill out Need Access to get that part, which your parents have to fill out as well (even noncustodial sometimes depending on the school's policy).  So there you may not qualify for any need-based aid.  Still there are private loans as well as unsubsidized stafford loans to help cover tuition.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 01:50:52 PM »
I was under hte impression that everything was need based.

So I guess I should just put all my Dad's info on there, get unsub staffords?

What's the rate on those?

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 04:33:49 PM »
The FAFSA is a pointless ritual required of everyone. If you live in a cardboard box, you must prove that the box is not a Fridgedaire... if it is, you may be ineligible for aid.

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington