Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: RA as an extracurricular  (Read 914 times)

bleedsblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: RA as an extracurricular
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 02:21:51 PM »
Am I the only one that views being an RA more as a JOB than an EC?

personally, in addition to getting free room, board, and food, I also got a stipend.  I certainly looked at it as a job.  and in fact, i believe i listed it under the "job" section of my apps, as opposed to the EC section.

Slow Blues

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 02:24:40 PM »
I kinda thought it's a mixed bag. You have some RAs that you saw a year and did nothing but study and some that were cool, outgoing, and really engaging. At my school, it was mainly the dorm president that organized activities, not the RA. The RA was there in case people had questions or there was some kind of crisis (drug overdose, fistfight) but my RA friends didn't have any major burden that I noticed. They were just doing it to get free housing.

In the end, it's still overwhelmingly a numbers game. I def. appreciate the work RAs did and do, but I don't see how it makes any major difference to your law school candidacy.

bleedsblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »
I agree with the above post.  I seriously doubt that the RA as an EC/job will be viewed as a spectacular soft factor, unless you really play it up and talk about the spectacular, unique things that you did.  otherwise, it will be viewed as any other decent EC.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 04:38:37 AM »
How could anyone not put RAing as job, unless it's drastically different (volunteer?) elsewhere? We're all employees of the state, since we're a state school, and we get renumeration and a stipend. That's definitely a job, and the weekly hours were conservatively estimated at 20.

slp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 08:58:36 AM »
I think it depends on th school and even to an extent the type of floor or building u were assigned to.  My undergrad was a tough one to be an RA at if u had a freshman building.  I was in an 11 story dorm with majority fresh and soph students, student athletes, lots of drama, etc ranging from assault, theft, drunkenness, suicide attempts, etc. etc.  When I finally was able to get the upperclass apartments, all I had to deal with were a few lock outs, and a couple of social events.  The contrast was night and day.  When I went to grad school, I lived in one of the areas that were upperclass students.  The RA did nothing but check-in and check-out. he did not know who I was and made no attempt to do ANYTHING else.  It surprised me how different it was for him. 
I think if your RA was more like my experience at a freshman dorm where u felt like u were working all of the time, then yes, it can be viewed as a job.  If it was like the RA in grad school, i think u can just refer to it as a EC. 
Given the difference of experiences for RA's at different places, i just think that it is not viewed as a major factor for law school because they have no way of figuring out how intense your RA experience was (unless you use it in a PS). 
The T14 statistic makes sense because becoming an RA requires some inerviewing skills, teamwork skills, and shows that u were involved in college and achieving good grades and not t solely sitting with a book in front of you. 

sck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 10:50:33 AM »
At my school (small private liberal arts), the RA job was based on grades (you had to have at least a 3.0) and a series of group interviews. I know I went to the interest session, but I don't remember if I actually ended up applying or not.

The compensation was essentially free room and board, and you received a double size room all to yourself. I don't think they were paid otherwise, but I don't recall for certain.

And what they did really did depend on the year. I'm sure that it was more stressful in a freshman dorm; I know my RA dealt with a lot of stuff. Plus, they also had to do rounds at least once a week, and were 'on call' for a group of dorms some nights, so had to stay in their rooms to be available. Not too bad, but it definitely required some work.
LSN
Nontrad, with a crazy split

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - savannah_honey@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 12:30:25 PM »
We also have to "inforce" rules, such as no boys after 11 pm, do random room checks, lock the doors ( we rotate, depending on who is on duty that night) stay every fourth weekend and not leave campus those days, plan two activites per week, and apparently, as I found out this weekend, have to fix broken sinks.

Definately job.
High Priestess of the P-Dub Club

talking dirty to vanna is like... like... hitting on the pope or someting

IU-B grad student, working in corporate America

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 03:01:09 PM »
Even if "all" you get is room & board, that's a job. Our stipend is only $65/month; no one's making a fortune being an RA. :)

But I think it ranks highly as a fairly prestigious job that requires a lot of commitment here, at least. We have to put on a good number of fairly major events, and patrol and respond to situations.