Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: National "Honors Societies"  (Read 835 times)

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
National "Honors Societies"
« on: November 15, 2005, 08:49:28 AM »
I've noticed a recent resurgence in the number of various honors societies on campus, with often nothing besides a GPA requirement. I'm wondering if you all think they're a good idea to put on the various honors and awards sections of applications. Specifically, I'm wondering what your opinions are on:
Phi Beta Kappa(Why am I ineligible, missing one quarter of Latin)
Golden Key(Phi Beta Kappa ripoff, like many)
Society of Success and Leadership (Sigma Alpha Pi?) - They're a group that seemed to pop up out of nowhere, with several people I know becoming officers in its apparent first year here. I'm somewhat skeptical, as they sent out messages to everyone inviting them to join, supposedly only those with 3.3s and above, though many didn't have this GPA.
National Dean's List-I was somewhat more proud of this one, as it required a nomination.
Phi Alpha Delta(Pre/law co-ed fraternity)

thenextstep

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: National "Honors Societies"
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 08:54:39 AM »
Here's what I think, but my school didn't participate in some of them so take my opinion with a chunk of salt.

I've noticed a recent resurgence in the number of various honors societies on campus, with often nothing besides a GPA requirement. I'm wondering if you all think they're a good idea to put on the various honors and awards sections of applications. Specifically, I'm wondering what your opinions are on:
Phi Beta Kappa(Why am I ineligible, missing one quarter of Latin)

It's the oldest and most well-known, and therefore it tends to be well-respected.  There's a fairly strong set of criteria for a school to eligible and then the school's chapter sets other requirements.  Usually about 3-4% of the class can be eligible but then character issues are considered as well.  At some large schools you have to display interest.  Interesting, if you get in before you final year of school, it is looked at as more prestigious by other PBK people.  So put your election date if you do it.

Golden Key(Phi Beta Kappa ripoff, like many)

Seems to be pretty well-respected by professors and so I'd think it would be by adcomms.  Not sure how the requirements work as we didn't have it.

Society of Success and Leadership (Sigma Alpha Pi?) - They're a group that seemed to pop up out of nowhere, with several people I know becoming officers in its apparent first year here. I'm somewhat skeptical, as they sent out messages to everyone inviting them to join, supposedly only those with 3.3s and above, though many didn't have this GPA.

I agree, seems fishy.  I've heard of it and don't think it's looked down upon but it's not as well-respected as the above two.

National Dean's List-I was somewhat more proud of this one, as it required a nomination.

You should be proud of it.  It may not be as well-respected as PBK but it's still a good thing.  I'm not sure how many people are eligible each year and how your school gets to be part of it.  We didn't participate.

Phi Alpha Delta(Pre/law co-ed fraternity)

SOOOOO many applicants will be in this.  It doesn't hurt but I doubt it helps unless you are a super-leader in it and your chapter does really interesting things as a result. 

There are a bunch of other ones that are major-specific.  I think that the longer an honor society has been around and the more criteria it has for admission, the more likely that adcomms will think it's something to consider.  I mean it's not going to hurt you, but it just might not make a difference.  That being said, at some school's it's harder to get on Dean's list than make it into some of these societies.  So if your school is unusual somehow like that, note it somewhere to put your academic honors in context(like on your resume).

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 08:59:19 AM »
Edit: fixed

xindogu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 09:09:49 AM »
You've got to read between the lines....
Applied: Michigan
Accepted: Michigan
Attending: Michigan

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 09:11:47 AM »
Er, it didn't look like that. Anyway.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 09:23:29 AM »
Golden Key is entirely GPA based but hasn't been around too long, but the chapters tend to be pretty active I think. Guess I'll include it.

"The Society" I've been wondering about as it seems their entire idea is around spending tons of students' money on bringing third-rate "motivational speakers" to various college campuses. I'm even more skeptical upon further research, as their entire mission statement is "To help individuals create the lives they desire by helping them discover what they truly want to do, and giving them the support, motivation, and tools to achieve their goals." Half of their success stories are from Purdue and the rest no-name schools. Sorry, but I'm just not impressed by someone going on to get a Master's in Elementary Education. I had a bad feeling when I first threw away the letter, and honestly the kinds of people that I know are participating in it hasn't really helped my impression of it much.

Edit: Wow, it's looking even worse than before. Their speeches are "delivered" by satellite or VHS? And the posters they wanted me to put up were downright ridiculous.

As for Phi Alpha Delta, I'm thinking about joining, as another RA was one of the founders, and I'd be in the first class since helping to get them founded last year here(but not joining). I'm not sure whether or not the effort into becoming an officer is worth it or not, when I realize that it'll probably mean many hours of work for little to no difference in admissions.

curly

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm sexy
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 11:14:37 AM »
Don't all of them ask for a fee? Or did ODK and PBK just swindle me?
Red's "The Official Crush of LSD" Award Recipient.

Also, "Hottest Roommate" Award. I'm now prestigious by association.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=lgirl

somniferum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Papavar somniferum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 11:20:01 AM »
Don't all of them ask for a fee? Or did ODK and PBK just swindle me?

They all ask for a fee, IME.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 12:27:32 PM »
if the national dean's list is the one i'm thinking of, it's definitely a rip-off. i was nominated for it freshman year, so i filled everything out but fortunately didn't order anything. a month later, my mom pointed out an article in consumer reports; someone had sent it in as a fraud because it was sent to her son, who flunked out of community college.

in my opinion, pbk is the only one i've heard is universally respected. and i think it's more impressive if you get nominated early because of the gpa cutoffs; at my school, you need a 3.9 as a junior and a 3.8 as a senior, so it's harder to get in junior year. but even if you get in after your apps, it'll look great on your resume!

dorcusmaximus

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 12:47:57 PM »

PBK is universally respected, but is also a liberal arts only society unavailable to many majors.