Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Variations in "Disciplinary Action" Question  (Read 444 times)

alliwini

• View Profile
Variations in "Disciplinary Action" Question
« on: November 15, 2005, 02:53:27 AM »
So, during my freshman year of college, I received minor disciplinary action for getting caught underage with alcohol in my dorm. I've decided to disclose this to most (maybe all) law schools, as I don't think it is that big of a deal, and I wrote a decent addendum about it. On the other hand, I'm not that excited about anything negative being in my file, and I have noticed the University of Chicago's DA question is quite different than all of the others I've completed. As opposed to the very vague, "disclose anything and everything" wording of other schools, Chicago asks: "Were you ever dismissed, placed on academic probation, or subject to serious disclipinary action at any college, universtiy or professional school?" Well, just reading that question, I would say "no" - I basically got a slap on the wrist. But I'm disclosing my violation to every other school to which I'm applying. I'm not trying to hide anything, I just wonder if Chicago is sick of reading about dumb violations like mine that aren't likely to affect one's candidacy to the bar. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Should I submit my addendum to Chicago?

azdezza

Re: Variations in "Disciplinary Action" Question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 03:00:33 AM »
Call and ask (anonymously)

kree

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ures0lastsummer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 03:18:31 AM »
I was in a similar situation, I got a minor "warning" my freshmen year. But, my school had this policy that if you get no more additional warnings by the time you graduate then it is taken off of your record...

I would say go ahead and disclose it unless you think it will hurt your chances...but you're probably better off asking them.
sunny: ave maria $$, drexel $$$, catholic, wvu, hofstra, drake $$
rainy: american, uf, george mason, northeastern, miami
cloudy: pittsburgh, tenn, penn state, pacific (wd), loyola chicago, stetson
still forecasting: unlv, santa clara

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=krysr

alliwini

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 03:44:04 AM »
I am traveling on the other side of the world right now, making phone calls inconvenient, so I decided to email the school and see what they say. My numbers and the rest of my application are pretty good, so I wouldn't expect it will make or break my application if they have partial (my email) or total (a disclosure in my app) awareness of my violation.

krysrox, so are you not going to disclose your violation since it was purged from your record? I think mine was, too, actually...

kree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 03:45:48 AM »
yeah, i'm not disclosing it. it was a "noise violation" or something and it wasn't even in my room, so it's not worth it.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 06:06:52 AM »
I'm an RA, and I have to wonder how residence hall conduct is handled at your schools. Here, unless something is so major that it would be a felony, sanctions are within residential life, completely unrelated to the University. You don't get anything marked on your transcript, and it's not an academic offense, for having underage booze here. And, they're quite strict when compared to most other schools I've talked to RAs from.

I'd be very surprised if anything like a noise/alcohol violation that occurred within the residence halls, had no police involvement, would affect your transcripts, which is what they're asking about. I'd be very hesitant to put anything like that on the app. Luckily, I've never been written up. :)

kree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 10:59:45 AM »
Yeah, at my school, there was no police involvement (with this incident at least) but they said it goes on your record...I guess it could have just been a scare tactic though

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 02:03:44 PM »
I'm an RA, and I have to wonder how residence hall conduct is handled at your schools. Here, unless something is so major that it would be a felony, sanctions are within residential life, completely unrelated to the University. You don't get anything marked on your transcript, and it's not an academic offense, for having underage booze here. And, they're quite strict when compared to most other schools I've talked to RAs from.

I'd be very surprised if anything like a noise/alcohol violation that occurred within the residence halls, had no police involvement, would affect your transcripts, which is what they're asking about. I'd be very hesitant to put anything like that on the app. Luckily, I've never been written up. :)

ditto

Steve Butabi

• Sr. Citizen
  • and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 04:36:38 PM »
i don't really understand the thinking behind this. If a school specifically asks for you to omit certain violations (minor traffic, penalty under 200, whatever) why would you put it on there? it's not like you're trying to skirt the issue or be sneaky, you're just following directions, and no one can fault you for that.
pm me if you're a hottie and you want to make out or whatever

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 05:53:42 PM »
Yeah, at my school, there was no police involvement (with this incident at least) but they said it goes on your record...I guess it could have just been a scare tactic though

Find out whether they mean university-owned housing record or academic record. The two are quite different and unrelated.

Here, if you get written up a bunch of times, of course they have access to previous offenses, to see a pattern, but unless you do something more serious than underage booze it's not going to affect your transcripts.