Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 146 LSAT 3.6 GPA How bad is it?  (Read 2041 times)

snillum

• View Profile
    • Law School Numbers profile
146 LSAT 3.6 GPA How bad is it?
« on: November 14, 2005, 11:24:57 PM »
Hi.  I am wondering how bad off I am with a 146 LSAT and a 3.6 GPA??  I know it is nto the worst combination but it certainly is not the best.  Any advice on where I should apply?? Any help is much appreciatted.

RocketBot

Re: 146 LSAT 3.6 GPA How bad is it?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 11:27:09 PM »
The first thing that comes to mind is how did you prepare for the LSAT, and do you think you can improve?  Your GPA is good, and if you could hit a 150+ LSAT score, you school choices will improve drastically.

inthesun

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 11:33:04 PM »
How bad off you are depends on what your expectations are.  There are people who have made wonderful law careers after going to *lower* ranked schools.  But they had to bust their asses and work for it.  And that is honorable...  but are you okay with that and are you up for that?  Obviously great soft factors and being a URM will help, but not significantly.  Your best bet would be to look at chiashu and lsac's calculator to determine which schools you have a decent shot at.  Also, you should be totally open to going to law school anywhere.  You can always plan on transferring, but if you are put in the position of feeling like you want to transfer, do not count on it.  If you don't like the results that you get from doing these things, you can get some real work experience (or more if you have already had a career), take an LSAT class, and study study study.  Either way, if this is your dream, you just have to go for it.  You are the only one who has control over your future and if this is what you want don't let anything or anyone stand in your way. Good luck!

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 08:32:54 AM »
I don't advise many to retake, but in your case I would, if you really want to practice law. Reevaluate this though: if you did this poorly on your LSAT, you either didn't prepare enough or you really might not be cut out for law school. Sometimes you need to hear the cold hard truth.

BTW- you need to crack a 154 on a retake to make it worth your while.

SCgrad

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 08:39:32 AM »
How bad off you are depends on what your expectations are.  There are people who have made wonderful law careers after going to *lower* ranked schools.  But they had to bust their asses and work for it.  And that is honorable...  but are you okay with that and are you up for that?  Obviously great soft factors and being a URM will help, but not significantly.  Your best bet would be to look at chiashu and lsac's calculator to determine which schools you have a decent shot at.  Also, you should be totally open to going to law school anywhere.  You can always plan on transferring, but if you are put in the position of feeling like you want to transfer, do not count on it.  If you don't like the results that you get from doing these things, you can get some real work experience (or more if you have already had a career), take an LSAT class, and study study study.  Either way, if this is your dream, you just have to go for it.  You are the only one who has control over your future and if this is what you want don't let anything or anyone stand in your way. Good luck!

Seconded

If you are applying with these numbers, good soft factors (well written PS, good LORs, etc.) could help, but you are very much reaching for any T2 school and not a guarantee at any T3, although you have a shot depending on your soft factors.  But I think you are virtually guaranteed to get in A law school, but you might not be able to be picky at all.

sophiac3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 11:10:25 AM »
I have been told that anything under a 150 won't get you into an ABA accredited school, which raises antother debate, since I am almost on-par with your scores. I have a 151 LSAT, (retaking in Dec.) and a 3.24 UGPA. I can only go to school in Los Angeles, and in all likelihood the only school I think I stand a decent chance of getting into is Southwestern. I am still applying to Loyola, (hoping I do better on the Dec. LSAT), but am considering applying to a non-ABA school - and looking into transferring after the first year. Some have said an ABA school won't take a non-ABA school's credits, but on one or two of my applications, it seems to suggest otherwise.

Anyone know which is the case?

And, I raise this point because I think it opens doors for some people who just didn't do supremely well on the LSAT, despite the fact that they might be pretty intelligent.

Just let me in somewhere. Please!

RocketBot

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 03:35:33 PM »
I have been told that anything under a 150 won't get you into an ABA accredited school

That doesn't take much effort to refute. 

Western State University (CA) - 146-149, 2.75-3.20
Southern University (LA) - 141-148, 2.53-3.07
Thomas M. Cooley Law School (MI) - 144-151, 2.67-3.39

There are about 8 more in that range.  These schools, however, are often ultra-competitive, with dropout/attrition rates well above 20%, and the students tend to be a LOT older.  I've heard it's a completely, completely different world than the first tier.

So I emphasize that the decision to attend a Tier 4 law school should not be a casual one, but a confident, assured career move.  To assure yourself of a job, you need to be prepared to work very, very hard, and put up with an extremely diverse classroom.

snillum

• View Profile
    • Law School Numbers profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 04:00:38 PM »
Thanks guys for all of the helpful advice it is much appreciatted.  I very well understand I wont get into a top school.  However, I am confident I will get into a school somewehre becasue of my 3.6 GPA and I am just hopeful to get into a decent tier 4 school.  Thanks again