Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Retaking classes i did crappy in?  (Read 591 times)

corky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Retaking classes i did crappy in?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 11:14:17 PM »
Right, but having 6 semester of 4 classes each (I'm estimating) is 24 classes. If you go all out and take 3 summer classes, that's 3/27 = 11% of your GPA.  If you do well in them, it'll take some of the sting out of those 2 C's by making them a smaller percentage of your GPA.
HLS '09

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 11:28:10 PM »
Right, but having 6 semester of 4 classes each (I'm estimating) is 24 classes. If you go all out and take 3 summer classes, that's 3/27 = 11% of your GPA.  If you do well in them, it'll take some of the sting out of those 2 C's by making them a smaller percentage of your GPA.

I take 5 classes a semester.  :-* They are each 3 credits.  Even if i took 3 classes and got all A's, it would still only move it a few tenths. 

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 12:08:38 AM »

I take 5 classes a semester.  :-* They are each 3 credits.  Even if i took 3 classes and got all A's, it would still only move it a few tenths. 

Sounds to me like you have your mind made up, so don't look to LSD for validation of your decision. You know your situation better than anyone here - if you really think it's the best choice, then retake the classes.

I didn't mean to come off like that.  :-[ If i take summer courses, say 2, and want to figure out how they will affect my GPA, how can i quickly calculate that without going credit by credit for every grade on my transcript? All of my semesters are 15 credits btw (except for just 1 that was 16 credits)

thescreed

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 12:56:52 AM »

If you are that concerned about it, do this:

1. Sign up for an easy online class from your local CC in Spring 06 and Fall 07. You can do it in your spare time and make easy As in both.

2. Sign up for two classes in each session of summer school at CC. Make sure they're nice and easy, like History of Rock or something.

3. Get straight As at your regular school from now through Fall 07

4. Prep your applications in Fall 07, get transcript requests to LSAC from both schools marked "send when grades post" and then let your apps fly in December 07.

This will give you 18 units of A for relatively little effort and expense, and that will more than cancel the two Cs. This only works if you're committed to doing the hard work to make up for your earlier mistake. If you are, the plan is foolproof.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 01:06:53 AM »

If you are that concerned about it, do this:

1. Sign up for an easy online class from your local CC in Spring 06 and Fall 07. You can do it in your spare time and make easy As in both.

2. Sign up for two classes in each session of summer school at CC. Make sure they're nice and easy, like History of Rock or something.

3. Get straight As at your regular school from now through Fall 07

4. Prep your applications in Fall 07, get transcript requests to LSAC from both schools marked "send when grades post" and then let your apps fly in December 07.

This will give you 18 units of A for relatively little effort and expense, and that will more than cancel the two Cs. This only works if you're committed to doing the hard work to make up for your earlier mistake. If you are, the plan is foolproof.

That sounds like a good plan, except my college grades at this school do not come out until like mid January, and the local community college is pretty much the same.  My semester at college does not even end until December 23.  I do like that plan very much though, it seems like a fantastic idea if all of the grades actually come through in time. 

I also wanted to send apps out as soon as i could, and definately do early decision as well.

One more thing though, you make it sound like getting straight A's for this entire year is an easy and effortless feat, and it is defiantely not.

thescreed

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 01:17:53 AM »
That sounds like a good plan, except my college grades at this school do not come out until like mid January, and the local community college is pretty much the same.  My semester at college does not even end until December 23.  I do like that plan very much though, it seems like a fantastic idea if all of the grades actually come through in time.

I also wanted to send apps out as soon as i could, and definately do early decision as well.

You could do every part of the plan except for the online class in Fall 07 and still take advantage of 15 CC units. Then apply everywhere for ED, but still take an online class in Fall 07 and work for a 4.0 in case you get waitlisted and need to submit your fall grades.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 01:26:27 AM »
I think applying early will make up for any slight bonus your Fall grades would offer-and remember, grades are never a guarantee. What if a professor mistakenly gives you an F and you have to spend a month trying to correct it? Personally, I'd rather have everything ready September 1st and submit then with a slightly lower GPA, rather than a potentially higher GPA.

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 02:03:51 AM »

You could do every part of the plan except for the online class in Fall 07 and still take advantage of 15 CC units. Then apply everywhere for ED, but still take an online class in Fall 07 and work for a 4.0 in case you get waitlisted and need to submit your fall grades.

???  How can i apply to more than one school Early Decision? It is a binding aggreement that if i get accepted, i have to go there, so how could i possible apply to more than 1 school with ED?