Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bay Area Forum 2005  (Read 1204 times)

LegalLassie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Bay Area Forum 2005
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 07:21:09 PM »
Did you happen to spy the Lewis and Clark table?  Or the Cornell table?  What were they like?

SkullTatt

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 07:33:44 PM »
L&C table was dead. I did not talk to them because I decided not to apply when I saw they require you to list all the other schools to which you are applying on a separate sheet.

I forgot to talk to Cornell, I don't think their table was particularly busy though. Students at the forum definitely seemed to be exhibiting a preference for WC schools. Stanford was exceptionally busy. Harvard was busy.

I don't think the concept of "T14" or even Top 20 is generally known among the population. Many of the T14 schools' tables were empty of visitors, and [one non-CA top 10 school's] rep was actually reading a newspaper.

H. Birdman

• flexing flexing flexing flexing
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 09:42:25 PM »
I went to the forum and sat through the workshops they had.  I didn't learn anything ground breaking but I found the overall experience to be helpful.  I talked to many law schools, even ones that i had no intention of applying to, and picked up more stuff then I'll be able to read ... but its all good.  I stopped to talk to the Golden Gate Law people and one of the guys behind their table happened to be the dean of admissions for the school.  I tried to ask him about the optional essays, such as the diversity statement, and he acted like he had no idea what i was talking about, I then asked about the median gpa and lsat of the last incoming class and he quickly told me and then dusted me off.  You would've thought he was the dean of admissions to a top school the way he treated people.

SkullTatt

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 10:02:36 PM »
I hate that school (GGU). I have made appointments for a tour and gone down there TWICE and been sent away, once because my appointment "wasn't in the computer" and the second time because "the tour just left."

I am not applying there, needless to say, and I do not recommend anybody else do either.

SkullTatt

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 10:10:17 PM »
I feel bad for the Cooley guy. Did he appear suicidal?

No, he had that used-car-salesman look of a person who remains chipper under any conditions.

And to put this in perspective, it wasn't just Cooley whose table was dead, it was really feast or famine around there. Reps from all kinds of random schools of lower tiers were standing around with nobody to talk to, while other tables were swamped.

Personally, I felt that the reps should have been a bit more assertive, calling out to people who walked by and so on. Because there were a lot of shy kids there who, I could tell, were afraid to talk to the reps. The whole thing was a tiny bit dysfunctional.

And the place was so noisy that the place where they had the videos set up made it impossible to hear the speakers. Most people started to wander out after a little while, realizing they would need to read lips to understand the videos.

SkullTatt

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 10:15:12 PM »
That was probably his former job.

H. Birdman

• flexing flexing flexing flexing
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 11:48:13 PM »
Up until now Cooley has just been this horrible place that I've read and heard about but it was kinda funny to actually see the Cooley guy the other day.  I walked around for well over an hour and didn't see anybody talking to him...it'd be easy to be a cooley rep. 

SkullTatt

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 01:12:43 AM »
Up until now Cooley has just been this horrible place that I've read and heard about but it was kinda funny to actually see the Cooley guy the other day.  I walked around for well over an hour and didn't see anybody talking to him...it'd be easy to be a cooley rep. 

Maybe... but I have this feeling he's got a certain quota of scalps he has to bring back to the school, like a meter maid has to write a certain number of tickets. What he was probably doing when he went on break was to solicit random people on the street, like crossing guards, security people, and random cigarette smokers to fill out Cooley apps. His job can't be easy.

LegalLassie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 01:31:56 AM »
That sounds dangerous!

SkullTatt

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 01:34:29 AM »
Being a Cooley rep is kind of like working in vice. You can only do it for a few years. After that, the people you're forced to associate with begin to rub off, and you start to think up is down, wrong is right.