Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt In-State  (Read 404 times)

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Boalt In-State
« on: November 14, 2005, 06:26:56 PM »
What's the general consensus about how being a California resident affects admission to Boalt? What about coming from another UC campus? I understand usually it's easier to be accepted in-state, but Boalt phrases their website oddly.

RocketBot

Re: Boalt In-State
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 06:37:33 PM »
Boalt does considering residency, but supposedly they receive so many applications from in-staters (CA being the size that it is), that in the end it doesn't really confer much of an advantage at all.  I heard UCLA doesn't consider residency at all.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 06:48:58 PM »
Ouch! That's what I was afraid of. With my GPA likely being worse than my LSAT, I was hoping for a boost. Not worried too much about UCLA, though I'd hate to move back home...

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:36:13 PM »
What's the general consensus about how being a California resident affects admission to Boalt? What about coming from another UC campus? I understand usually it's easier to be accepted in-state, but Boalt phrases their website oddly.

doesn't make a signifigant difference
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 08:51:05 PM »
As far as jumping from same undergrad to law school, what is the general policy for UCs?

no discernable ifference in admission.

Some people think that it is a disadvantage, some think it is an advantage. I disagree with both.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

RocketBot

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 09:01:43 PM »
As far as jumping from same undergrad to law school, what is the general policy for UCs?

no discernable ifference in admission.

Some people think that it is a disadvantage, some think it is an advantage. I disagree with both.

I agree.  They only care in that you went to a good university...  but they know the strength of their own programs more.  Of course this can work against you, too, if you took an easy path.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 01:15:11 AM »
I'm hoping they realize that UCs are very grade deflated-most of the ones I looked at had average GPAs of 2.9 or 3, and I'd like to think my major (Philosophy) is fairly rigorous, even if it's not as harsh as say, engineering.