Law School Discussion

Call from Harvard

corky

• View Profile
Re: Call from Harvard
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2005, 03:38:55 PM »
I still think that they'll look at an applicant from No Name College, with a school average LSAT score of 133, and one from Yale differently.

practiceboy02

• Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2005, 03:39:37 PM »
Yale - 126
Penn State - 7

Where there 18 times as many applicants from Yale as from Penn State? Probably not.

I wonder, of those Yalies and Harvard people, how many are legacies?

Probably not as many as those who are incredibly bright and hard-working

John Galt

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2005, 03:46:10 PM »
I still think that they'll look at an applicant from No Name College, with a school average LSAT score of 133, and one from Yale differently.

It depends on what the mean GPA of the school is.

corky

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2005, 03:49:16 PM »

Does it? As others have pointed out, they use the mean LSAT at a school to determine the quality of the institution. All the GPA average does is tell them the amount of grade inflation.

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2005, 03:59:02 PM »

Does it? As others have pointed out, they use the mean LSAT at a school to determine the quality of the institution. All the GPA average does is tell them the amount of grade inflation.

I'm confused why mean GPA is constantly pointed to as an indicator of grade inflation. The mean GPA is not the actual mean GPA of all students at your school, but that of law school applicants from your school for the past few years. Accordingly, a mean GPA will likely be higher at schools that have high mean LSAT scores because law school applicants from these schools are likely to have both high LSATs and high GPAs. I'm not saying there isn't any grade inflation at these schools, but I don't think a high mean GPA = grade inflation per se.

corky

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2005, 04:03:09 PM »
It also unfairly impacts some students. For instance, I don't think anyone from my department has applied to law school in the last ten years, and we have much less grade inflation than other departments do.

pandabones

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2005, 04:05:30 PM »

I'm confused why mean GPA is constantly pointed to as an indicator of grade inflation. The mean GPA is not the actual mean GPA of all students at your school, but that of law school applicants from your school for the past few years. Accordingly, a mean GPA will likely be higher at schools that have high mean LSAT scores because law school applicants from these schools are likely to have both high LSATs and high GPAs. I'm not saying there isn't any grade inflation at these schools, but I don't think a high mean GPA = grade inflation per se.

At least for my school, the LSAC mean GPA and the overall mean GPA (calculated by my school) is almost the same.  Of course, if your school only has a few law school applicants (or non-law school applicants have much lower GPAs), the LSAC mean GPA may be way off.

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2005, 04:08:00 PM »

jg983

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2005, 04:39:31 PM »
As long as y'all don't make asses of yourselves, you can consider it a "Welcome to Harvard" phone call.

Did you or anyone else who applied last year get this call too, Habeas?  I'm hoping you're on the money!

I'm not sure. I didn't make my way onto these boards until March or April, and didn't apply until the very end of January. This sounds like an in if I've ever heard one, though.

jg983

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2005, 04:42:21 PM »
Is anyone else who applied early and has not yet gone complete beginning to seriously doubt their chances a HLS?

That said, congrats to all who seem to have gotten good news thus far!

Last year, *ONE* LSN user with a 178+ was rejected from HLS. He/she had a 3.5 GPA. This is compared to too many acceptances to count. You're fine.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/graphs.php?cycle=2&school_code=0008