Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will this help me get into Southwestern???  (Read 2310 times)

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will this help me get into Southwestern???
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 06:04:12 PM »
Just for reference, I've flown to LA twice in the past couple of months.

The first trip I flew Airtran non-stop both ways for $89 each way.

The second trip I flew Delta non-stop both ways for $125 each way.

Just watch for good sales  :)  I'll pass some along if I see any good ones, I get email weekly from Delta and Airtran!  lol
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

crawfordsf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 07:13:31 PM »
I think it is worth it to make the trip out to CA to visit the school. With all the $$ we are pouring into our education, what is a few more hundred dollars? Seriously though, I suggest a visit and any additional letters of recommendation you can round up. I sent two more after I was waitilisted, lots of letters expressing my continued interest, and a visit to take a tour. I was just accepted off the list last week, so don't give up hope just yet!

carolinahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 01:19:31 AM »
I hope it moves our way really soon also. 

If I were to send another letter of interest, do you think it would be best to email them or write an actual letter.  I'm thinking email would be best for me just because of my writing style.  If I wrote a letter it would be full of BS and probably wouldn't sound genuine.  Besides it would take 4 days to get to Cali from NC.  Any suggestions on which I should do?

carolinahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 01:20:14 AM »
I hope it moves our way really soon also. 

If I were to send another letter of interest, do you think it would be best to email them or write an actual letter.  I'm thinking email would be best for me just because of my writing style.  If I wrote a letter it would be full of BS and probably wouldn't sound genuine.  Besides it would take 4 days to get to Cali from NC.  Any suggestions on which I should do?

lime

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 03:35:14 AM »
There's some really great advice already posted here. As for letter vs. e-mail, I'd recommend a very formal letter, sent via overnight. In my opinion, there's a sense of substance and professionalism in a written letter that you can't replicate in an e-mail. I would make the tone upbeat (I remain excited about the possibility of attending SW, my first choice, etc), but dead serious (Because SW is my first choice, I would like to provide you with any letters, statements, demonstration of my interest, etc that might improve my chances for a favorable decision, etc etc).

Further, I'd be direct in all correspondence - written, verbal, in person. Make your favorable impressions on people who truly make a difference in the outcome. If I were calling, I would try my very best to speak with Anne Wilson. I'd have talking points prepared -- like the things I've been up to since I last corresponded with the school. I'd ask very specific questions, and would check in advance to make sure that the answers can't readily be found in their viewbook or on their website. From this point forward, you're a sales executive. Your marketing materials have already been mulled over, and they've got you in a holding pattern. Time to follow up strong. Bring your self-confidence, maturity and enthusiasm for SW to the forefront. This is why I'd highly recommend a visit. But if that's not possible, then phone calls and formal letters are the next best thing. Following up your letter with an e-mail to check on its receipt is a good idea -- yet another opportunity to express your interest, while having a good reason to write.

Another suggestion for where e-mails may be effective: head of the department or program you're most interested in, or a professor whose course(s) you really want to take. I'd recommend the same tone, give them the ultra-condensed version of your story (1 paragraph max), and ask them what they would recommend you do in order to enhance your chances for admission.

Best of luck!!

Shoes

• AOL Instant Messenger - HeeledShoes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 11:54:09 AM »
Congrats, congrats, congrats Crawford!  How exicted you must be!  Where are you moving from?

Thanks for the pep talk, Lime.  I'm going to call and see if I can't schedule a visit.  It's not going to be an easy trip for me to make (especially since I haven't given my 2 weeks notice at work yet) but it's not impossible to get myself to LA and back in 2 days.  I'm going to see if I can speak with Ms. Wilson in order to schedule the visit and hopefully she'll tell me not to worry about it since I'm already in.  HAHAHAH  Ok, wishful thinking there! 

Thanks for your feedback everyone!   :-*

And on a side note....... I nearly pee my pants everytime the phone rings and it registers as an unknown number.  I have put out requests to moving companies on quotes (just in case I'm moving to LA) and their numbers always come up as unknown.  Maybe I need to slap on a pair of Depends just in case.   ;D

PoodleGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2004, 01:00:03 PM »
Hey Crawford!
Were you planning on going to McGeorge before you were accepted to Southwestern?  If so, did you call McGeorge to pull out?
Thanks

crawfordsf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 01:23:13 PM »
Shoes, I agree with Lime that a personal touch to all correspondence is crucial. Keep the letter short if you are scared you will ramble, but be very direct about your interest. I am already here in LA, so thankfully I don't have the added stress of a big move.

Lime, have you heard anything from financial aid yet? Also, are you planning on attending the reception tonight? I think I should venture out and meet some fellow students.

lime

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 03:07:33 PM »
Haven't heard from Financial Aid - a tad bit worrisome. Gonna try to call them today.

I'm absolutely going -- come on, who passes up a luau in BH?!! (haha) I'm bringing Mrs. Lime too. I hope to see you there!

Shoes

• AOL Instant Messenger - HeeledShoes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2004, 04:49:09 PM »
I tried calling Anne Wilson.....but they won't let me talk to her.  Any suggestions on how to actually speak with her??  I tried leaving a message, but they wanted to know what it was regarding.  And when I told them it was about my waitlist, they said I would hear something by the end of the month.  At least he did check that I was on the waitlist, but I want to talk to Anne.