Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will this help me get into Southwestern???  (Read 2296 times)

Shoes

• AOL Instant Messenger - HeeledShoes
    • View Profile
    • Email
Will this help me get into Southwestern???
« on: July 07, 2004, 09:10:52 PM »
I am waitlisted at my top choice school (yeah I know - join the club.)  I found out I was waitlisted when I called the week before Memorial Day to let them know that I was going out of the country.  That's when they told me I was waitlisted and I told them I was very interested and gave them my sister's contact info since I wasn't going to be reachable.  I told them my sis had a couple of my checks that I had signed in case they needed a deposit before I returned.  I definitely made sure they knew that they were my first choice.  I called last week to check my status and learned that they had a 'no response' from the letter they had sent me about the waitlist.  They didn't think I was interested anymore and never actually put me on the waitlist.  Now I've lost a month and am trying to make up the time lost.

I live in Atlanta, but could make the trip to schedule a visit to the school.  It's a long trip and I really don't have the extra money for airfare, hotel and car rental. But if it will really boost my chances of getting into my top choice school I'll gladly do it.  Any ideas on whether this will help me?  And if so, how do you suggest I approach scheduling a visit?  Thanks in advance!!  :)

carolinahopeful

• View Profile
Re: Will help me get into Southwestern???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 11:25:28 PM »
Hey Shoes,

I've been waitlisted at Southwestern for since mid May and have been wondering if there was anything else I could do.  I've written a letter of interest, and I sent them an email showing my undying interest and a couple of questions about their waitlist procedures last week. They haven't responded yet. Hopefully that will do the trick.  I live in North Carolina, so making a trip to LA to take a tour and talk with the admissions committee really isn't a choice.  I'm remaining to stay patient and positive that they will call at some point.  I just hope its not sometime in August.  Here's hoping the best for both of us.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will help me get into Southwestern???
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 09:28:53 AM »
Sorry to get off topic just a little bit, but what are your numbers?

I ask because I'm going to be attending Whittier out in CA (and I'm making the move from Atlanta coincidentally) and about 10 of my future classmates just got pulled off SW's waitlist.  The trend seems to be anyone with a 158+ on their LSAT who didn't get in the first time around, regardless of GPA (one guy had a 2.3 I think).  Interesting to see they are focusing on the LSAT when pulling off the waitlist, or at least seem to be.

Hopefully some of those who were offered admission to SW this week will turn it down and you two will get an offer!  Best of luck!!
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

Shoes

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will this help me get into Southwestern???
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 03:10:23 PM »
Well if that's the case then I had better kiss my chances goodbye.  I got a 152.  :(  I wonder if I sending in an addendum for my score might help - I don't want it to sound whiny though. 

Have planned your move yet?  It's a hard move and I have been back and forth on whether to take my furniture with me.  Of course, this is if I get in.  I haven't decided if it will be economical to pay to move all of my things or buy them there. 

I hope you're right and I do get an offer soon!!  How are your classmates being notified - phone, mail or email??

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 04:34:37 PM »
I had a 152 (average of a 150 and 154) and a 2.87 and was rejected at SW.  Hope you have better luck!!

I'm driving cross-country at the end of the month.  Paid $3000 to have movers move my stuff!!  I thought about selling it all and buying all new, but I had more than $3000 worth of stuff.  Actually, some of my furniture I'm still paying on!  :)

Everyone I've talked to was notified by phone of their admission off the waitlist.  Keep us posted! 
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

carolinahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 04:46:58 PM »
My stats are pretty much the same.  I am a minority, so I'm wondering if that is what has me on the wait list.  Hmmmmm.  Oh well, I'll keep an eye on my caller ID.  Hang in there Shoes.  Its not over just yet.

Shoes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 04:51:16 PM »
I'll probably spend more getting new things, too.  But I guess I just want an excuse to buy new stuff.   :P  I did find a pretty decent deal from a moving company and I just messaged you to see if you'd like their information.  If only I could get into SW maybe we'd be driving cross country at the around the same time.  I made sure to renew my AAA just in case.  

Carolinahopeful, I'm a minority, too, but I don't qualify for URM.  Isn't the wait so agonizing???  Where will you go if not SW?

Do you think planning a trip to LA to visit the school will help me??  It's something I will do in a heartbeat if I know it will help, but also don't want to go through the expense if it's hopeless.  Plus, I haven't told my work yet and I'd rather not ask for days off to go to LA.  But like I said....... if it will help, I'm all for it.   :)

carolinahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 05:16:14 PM »
This whole law school process has been the worse.  I try to just live my life and not think about it anymore.  I have yet to be accepted anywhere and I'm still waiting to hear from Loyola in LA also.  I don't know what the deal is, but I'm trying to remain optimistic.

How are you a minority, but not a URM?

As far as a trip goes, I really couldn't say.  I wish I could go and see the school and know what its all about first hand, but I don't have the money to do that.  On the other hand its very hard to sell yourself when you live on the other side of the country. 

From what others have posted in the boards, it seems like they are moving pretty fast on the waitlist.  So hopefully a lot of people are declining spots or they maybe they need a lot of people to fill their class.  The comment GA_Kristi made about 10 people being pulled off the waitlist that were already going to Whittier makes it sound like that there is a lot of declining going on.  So maybe its working to our advantage.  With it being so late, I'm hoping a lot of people on the waitlist got tired of waiting and went to another school they were accepted at.  Who knows?  Just wishful thinking.

Until the Shoes, live your life.  Don't let this waiting game get the best of you.

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 05:17:43 PM »
I would flat out ask the Admissions Office what you can do to improve your file.  Ask if more recs would help, and ask if a visit out to meet with the Director of Admissions might help.  I think they'll give you honest answers.  

Wish I was going to be out there sooner and I'd say that you could crash with me to save money.  Its only 45 minutes or so from my place in Orange County up to SW.  I'll be there as of July 30th, so if you end up coming out sometime after that let me know!  :)  

Shoes

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 05:57:08 PM »
You're only considered an URM if you are 1) Native American 2)African American 3)Asian or 4)Hispanic. 

I know what you mean about the cost of going there and I really don't have the money either.  But the way I look it is that I've already spent all this money on applications and if it will really help me get into my #1 choice school then what's another $500? 

And thanks for the offer Kristi!!  You're too kind.  I thought if I do make this trip I can at least take advantage of visiting some apartments, too - just in case.  ;)  I spoke to my friend today and she said she could probably convince her roommate to let me stay with them for a couple of nights so at least I'll save on hotel.  I'm going to start looking at some airfare and give SW a call and ask if it will help.

It does sound a little promising to hear the waitlist IS moving.  Why can't it move my way??   :D  OK, Carolina, I'll try and not let it take the best of me.  It's just so hard not knowing where I'll be next month.  I'm just SUCH a planner.  Best of luck!
-Sara