Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.08/161  (Read 1164 times)

twysted

• View Profile
3.08/161
« on: July 07, 2004, 08:47:28 PM »
Where in the hell can I go? Any ideas anyone?

inthesun

Re: 3.08/161
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:51:28 PM »
Are you a minority?  Or a mainstream?  If you are a minority, that could change a lot of things for you. 

twysted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 09:10:57 PM »
I'm minority, also from a foreign country. I don't blame my sucky gpa on some form of cultural inability to cope as well as foreigners, rather on my performance freshman fall. So yeah...where can I get in? And this may sound odd but as someone not from this country, could my being a minority have a drastic effect?

inthesun

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 09:15:53 PM »
Being a minority will have a DRASTIC effect.  HOWEVER, how drastic depends on your ethnicity, ability to speak a foreign language, and how much it affected your life.  They are pretty strict about what constitutes a minority applicant.  For example, I am half Mexican.  My family happened to be in the right place when the US bought the New Mexico terrority.  That makes me 4th generation.  Additionally, the language was purposefully not passed by my grandparents because they were not allowed to speak it in school, they were ridiculed and punished.  They didn't want these things for their children.  This almost puts me in the mainstream.  ALMOST.  Depends on what school.  If I go east coast, I should be okay, but I can almost count out the west coast if I want to be considered a minority applicant. 

twysted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 09:27:55 PM »
Oh wow, I didn't know all that. My first language is English and all that, so it's really only a cultural change. So considering all that, and my sucky gpa where could I go? Anywhere on the first tier or am I limited to 2nd, 3rd and 4th tiers? I don't really care what state I end up but for obvious reasons I'd really like to go to a school with as wide a recognition as possible. I'm thinking East Coast, but I'm flexible...

inthesun

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 09:36:19 PM »
Well, you ARE from another country.  Law schools really want to look for people with different perspectives to fill each incoming class.  You probably will have a completely different view on a lot of things than most Americans would.  Law schools love diversity.  How hard was the culture change on you?  Could that expain the GPA and LSAT score?  Maybe you should try to incorporate moving here, and how the change of cultures affected you in your PS.  Also, make it clear that your differing view will make you an asset at any law school.   

matt39754

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 09:56:34 PM »
theres a direct correlation to the law school ranking you will get admited to, and the amount you will lie about culture shock on your application.

twysted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 10:25:08 PM »
I'll try that, I'd rather explain the GPA than the LSAT. It's not great but it's relatively decent. What do you think about schools such as American, Fordham, Case, Emory...? Any other suggestions?

junbug77m

• 160/3.1 BS in BME/EE double major, Master's in BME
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - junbug77m
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 10:32:49 PM »
my numbers are similar to yours.  are you underrepresented minority  (Native americans, Hispanics, African-Americans and for some schools Asian woman)?  If you are not, you won't have much advantage.  I'm an asian guy who grew up in a foreign country.  I don't think this fact helped me with admissions at all.  I got rejected from all the schools in top 40.  But, if you apply to schools in rural areas (you know, Iowa, Kentucky etc..), you'll have some advantage.

twysted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 10:39:36 PM »
I'm foreign and Black, not sure that necessarily classifies my as "African-American" per se. I have to admit I'm skeptical of the effect that this simple fact could have on the admissions process in any case. Where'd you apply and where'd you get in w/ your scores?