;

Author Topic: Florida  (Read 480 times)

ChlorasepticRelief

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yeah... you like that don't you?
    • View Profile
Florida
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:41:06 PM »
Does anybody know how much residency matters in UF's admissions? I looked on their website and on the ABA's description, but I couldn't find any quotas or anything.

Heading to Indiana University, Bloomington

Hobert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
Re: Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 01:04:55 PM »
Does anybody know how much residency matters in UF's admissions? I looked on their website and on the ABA's description, but I couldn't find any quotas or anything.

I think I read somewhere on this forum that they do have a substantial in state quota. I seem to remember something around 70-75%.
Super Bowl Champs (Attending): DUKE
TD: Michigan, Northwestern, UNC, Notre Dame, Texas, Vandy, WUSTL
Intentional Grounding(Withdrew): Baylor, Case, Cincy, Emory, Florida, Indiana
INT: None
4th and Goal: Penn, UVA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Hobert

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 04:03:45 PM »
I believe they got rid of that this year, if I am not mistaken.  Then again, I am more knowledgable of the laws [that I create] in California.

You create your own laws?
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 04:23:14 PM »
I believe they got rid of that this year, if I am not mistaken.  Then again, I am more knowledgable of the laws [that I create] in California.

You create your own laws?

The California State Legislature is just a formality -- everyone on the inside knows that I really run things in Cali-fornia.

The Governator

You and the voters who voted in the referendum?
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 08:44:14 AM »
Florida specifically says they do not use residency as a factor in admissions, but I'm not so sure I believe them. I called and asked an adcomm, hoping my instate would help too.

ProfessorPlum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Georgetown Law 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »
The UF rep I talked to when he visited my undergrad said in-state is not a consideration.  I suspect it will be one though, since Floridian accepted students are more likely to come than Alaskan accepted students. Or maybe my logic sucks, and Alaskan accepted students would want to get out of the cold  ???
hoia saxa

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 10:21:43 PM »
i could be wrong but i thought i read in their material that it matters a lot.  i know i read something saying they 'have an obligation to the state of florida to produce florida lawyers.

LawyersGunnersnMoney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 01:38:14 PM »
Its a pretty big deal to be in state.  From UF website:

"The College of Law has a responsibility as a state institution to educate lawyers who will serve the legal needs of all citizens and communities in Florida.  The college seeks to enroll students who will distinguish themselves in serving the state..."

"Students qualifying as state residents make up about 85 percent of the class, though UFlaw does not have a cap on out of state."