Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: low low gpa, where to start?  (Read 3163 times)

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
low low gpa, where to start?
« on: July 07, 2004, 06:58:54 PM »
Hi, this is a question for a friend.  His GPA is a 2.5 from a top 25 undergrad with no extraneous circumstances.  It just is what it is.  He will also probably get a 158-160 on his LSATS (from practice exams).  No extracurriculars besides president of a public service organization and has some work experience during the summers.

Will he be accepted anywhere?  And where should he start to look in terms of what law schools may be applicable to him.  I know there are calculators out there, but just wondering if you all had any advice/opinions..

Thanks!

wstaffor

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.35/174
    • AOL Instant Messenger - WillyRayCyrus06
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: low low gpa, where to start?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 07:02:06 PM »
Plenty of Tier4 schools would take him.
Accepted: Georgetown, Penn, Baylor ($Full$)
Pending: Harvard, Chicago, UVA, Northwestern, Emory, Tulane
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wstaffor

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 07:03:35 PM »
I'm not an expert here at all.  (I ask far more questions than I answer.)  However, it seems to me that a 158-160 is a high enough LSAT score to get into somewhere, even with the GPA.  Where, I don't know.  What is his major?  That might matter.  Just tell him to concentrate on his LSAT.

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 07:12:03 PM »
Hm, major is political science.  What if the LSAT was a 150?  He's one of those people who dont do so great on standardized tests when they actually come along (ie. 1250 on practice SATS but only 1050 on the actual...).

Are there people who dont get into anywhere?

Kwertee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 07:15:47 PM »
Getting a 150 instead of a 158-160 would probably change his chances drastically.  He would then probably need to start at the very bottom of ABA schools.

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 07:20:29 PM »
hm.. i've been very encouraging in telling him that he should apply nonetheless because who knows what can happen... but would it make any sense to wait a year (he'll be going into senior year this fall) even though his grades wont change, or do u think he should wait a couple of years and get work experience.  In general, if the best a person can do is the worst law school out there... is it even worth it? or should they look for something else.  I just don't want to encourage him and have him waste three years tuition, etc. with no back up plan.

Thanks!

ryckmansboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 08:16:45 PM »
I know it's not encouraging, but your friend should not go to law school.  First, even graduates of good law schools have a really hard time finding work.  Second, law school is really hard, and if your friend has a history of doing poorly in school, law school is not likely to be any different.  Imagine three years of hard word with discouraging results and not much of a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Why does your friend want to go to law school?  If its for the money, he should think again because grads from the kind of schools he can get into don't make very much. 

btw... your friend should watch the "Glen" commercial for Starbucks Doubleshot Expresso (which just came on and gave me a hankerin').  That might encourage him to join the workin' world.

hm.. i've been very encouraging in telling him that he should apply nonetheless because who knows what can happen... but would it make any sense to wait a year (he'll be going into senior year this fall) even though his grades wont change, or do u think he should wait a couple of years and get work experience.  In general, if the best a person can do is the worst law school out there... is it even worth it? or should they look for something else.  I just don't want to encourage him and have him waste three years tuition, etc. with no back up plan.

Thanks!

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 08:27:16 PM »
Wow, that is pretty dicouraging. :'(  I think he has always wanted to be a lawyer (but i also think that if he realized he wouldnt be making any money, he would reanalyze his life).   What kind of lsat score do u think he would need in order for it to be worthwhile to apply/go?  also is it really that hard for lawyers to get jobs?

superiorlobe

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 08:28:06 PM »
I'm afraid I just have to say that the LSAT is extremely important in this situation.  A 165 would completely change everything.

ryckmansboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 08:43:39 PM »
If he could break 166, he could probably get into a second-tier school.  Then it might be worth attending law school.  But if he isn't completely committed to figuring out how to get good grades (do you have any reason to think he'll change his ways?), he'll have a terrible time trying to find a decent job, as many legal employers are as interested in good grades as the law schools themselves.

Wow, that is pretty dicouraging. :'(  I think he has always wanted to be a lawyer (but i also think that if he realized he wouldnt be making any money, he would reanalyze his life).   What kind of lsat score do u think he would need in order for it to be worthwhile to apply/go?  also is it really that hard for lawyers to get jobs?