Law School Discussion

3 years, 125K, boring life

Moogle

• LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
Re: 3 years, 125K, boring life
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2004, 11:23:59 PM »
You are not eligible for a security clearance, but you can still join. 

Why join the Marines if you can't make Team Six?   :D

superiorlobe

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2004, 07:11:26 AM »
A law degree opens many doors. Hopefully with the money you make as a lawyer, you can make some wise investments and retire early.

This is exactly what I would call a boring life.  My goal is not to retire.

tj60

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2004, 09:00:09 AM »
I saw Moogle's comment and had to respond. I have a degree in marine biolgoy, and for the psat four years, I have been working for the City of Boston revieiwing and permitting projects for compliance with wetlands regulations. I've worked with a lot of attorneys in the public and private sectors and for me, the knowledge they have is certainly worth the time and money. It's been a great experience, but as Ginatio described, after four years, it's just not a challenge anymore.

I had no idea law school was in my future when I graduated seven years ago, and I have no idea if I'll stick with environmental law three years from now, but to reiterate many others on this thread, the skills and knowledge that come with a legal education will be a lifelong asset.

Even with this conviction, I still second-guess the worth of the sacrifice. (Granted, a scholarship has made this choice easier.) My advice is that if a career in law doesn't offer you some measure of excitement, then wait a year or two to try a few other things on for size...

Superiorlobe, do you seriously write for Atlantic Monthly? That's hot. I read that magazine cover-to-cover and mourn the day I'll have to cancel my subscription to make time for studying this fall.

rainmkr07

• Heading to Hofstra Law!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2004, 09:06:35 AM »
Lobe:
"Frankly, I don't want any of those four things. This is what I really want.

1) I want to ace the LSAT so I can feel good about myself.

2) I want to get into a name brand law school so I can impress people.

3) I want to have a job that society approves of in terms of respect and earning money (I would choose "movie star" if I could, but I can't, so I guess I will have to settle for lawyer.)

4) I don't know what else I want to do with my life and I think I should do something so I'm just going to pick law."

LOL.  Lobe, you are my twin, I didn't know I had one, I wonder if we are identical twins and look alike too.

M2

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2004, 09:42:39 PM »
all of you! PLEASE don't apply to law school.  ;D

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2004, 01:19:19 AM »
MOST people have boring jobs.  The law is at least slightly less boring (for most) than many jobs, and if you work at a good firm doing good work, you'll make good money.  We can't all climb mountains and tame anteaters for a living.

Actually you can climb mountains and tame anteaters for a living.  It is just that you can't make much money at it.  I guess some people choose security and making a lot of money over living an interesting life doing what most excites them.

There is no magical job that will keep you perpetually excited.  Paramedics, Soldiers, Lion tamers/Ring Masters, World Class Athletes, and Entertainers are all at risk of depression and boredom (even if they had a passion for the activity in the beginning).  As anything in life, there is a pattern and repetition that develops in a job.  It is unfair to proclaim one career choice 'boring', because many others have followed the same path.  In psych we learn that above a threshold higher income does not correlate with increased happiness. Does that mean individuals who choose to work 60+ hrs lead a boring life or are soulless-money-grubbers? No, not if they have a job that is personally satisfying.  Near the end of your life, the question shouldn't be: How exciting was my life?  Your answer will be disappointing (nostalgic stories of singular events). By the time you are 50, I am sure there will be little that surprises you.  The more important questions appears to be: How fulfilling was my life?  Did I contribute something that I can be proud of? The questions can be answered in many ways (a housewife's answer comes to mind), but there is no right or wrong answer.

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2004, 08:31:23 AM »
well said mousepad, I agree completely

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2004, 10:29:04 AM »
does anyone here actually want to be a lawyer?  personally, i am going to law school because i want to practice law.  seems to me like that is the only real reason to do it.  if you think you are setting yourself up for a long and boring life, then why bother?  do something else.  there are plenty of good careers out there.

dta

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2004, 10:35:09 AM »
Agreed. If you don't want to work long and hard as an attorney, then don't become one. There should be a sense of calling in it. If the only reason you want to be an attorney is to make $ you're probably not only going to be disappointed but you'll probably be one of those shoddy attorneys that make a bad reputation for all lawyers. Do us all a favor and go be an iBanker instead - they make lots of $.

superiorlobe

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2004, 12:37:25 PM »
I think I'm just going to go become a rock star.