Law School Discussion

Non-Auto-Admits Club

Re: Non-Auto-Admits Club
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 08:27:45 AM »
My numbers won't matter if I procrastinate so much that my essays are still unfinished....

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 08:33:27 AM »
So, what's the concensus on ED and non-auto admit?  Good or bad to do?  I'm just paranoid that it would give them another reason to just pass over my app. for someone with a higher gpa.

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 08:36:59 AM »
But seriously, if you aren't an auto-admit, does it REALLY matter if your apps go out in September or January?  I figure, they aren't going to look at me until after they have a better idea of the applicants.

Yes. Big time. It's for the non-auto-admits that it matters most. Auto-admits pretty much get in no matter when they submit their applications as long as they're complete before Feb or so. If you look on LSN, people with borderline numbers at any of the schools during any of the cycles will pretty much be separated by when they applied as to whether or not they get in. People always discuss how small and potentially biased LSN is, but considering I've seen this trend present at every school I've looked at one there, I think it's safe to say it's true.

But yeah, non-auto-admit checking in. I'm really hoping that applying ED will put me over the top at Chicago.

at the schools im applying to there is not a noticeable trend.  i guess it depends on the school

TheGunner

• Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 08:40:47 AM »
Wow, great thread!  My 3.8x and mid-160 makes me a great candidate for this group.  I have about a 50-50 shot of just about about every school to which I'm applying, as I've given up on T-14.  

Interesting question for the fray - if Chiasu and LSAC say that I have a 70% chance at  Emory, 60% chance at GW, and 45% chance and Vandy, does this mean that the odds of not getting into any one of those places is only 6% [(1-.70) * (1-.60) * (1-.55)] ???
I'm assuming independence, i.e. my chance of getting into Emory has no influence on my chance of getting into GW.  Chew on this one for a while.  After all, figures can't lie, but liars can figure.

jgatsby

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 09:09:22 AM »
Wow, great thread!  My 3.8x and mid-160 makes me a great candidate for this group.  I have about a 50-50 shot of just about about every school to which I'm applying, as I've given up on T-14. 

Interesting question for the fray - if Chiasu and LSAC say that I have a 70% chance at  Emory, 60% chance at GW, and 45% chance and Vandy, does this mean that the odds of not getting into any one of those places is only 6% [(1-.70) * (1-.60) * (1-.55)] ???
I'm assuming independence, i.e. my chance of getting into Emory has no influence on my chance of getting into GW.  Chew on this one for a while.  After all, figures can't lie, but liars can figure.

Although I would refrain from so specificially quantifying chances, I think it is safe to say that your chances of not getting into anyone of those is even lower than 6%.  Those numbers are just based on LSAT/GPA scores, they also include people who applied at the very end of the cycle etc. 

You'll get one of them, hopefully Vandy.

As for myself, I should keep my gpa over 3.75 and have a 166, but am thinking of retaking, because I have no T14 chances really.  But I'd be happy with the next tier of schools so I probably will not. 

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 09:12:18 AM »
Wow, great thread!  My 3.8x and mid-160 makes me a great candidate for this group.  I have about a 50-50 shot of just about about every school to which I'm applying, as I've given up on T-14.  

Interesting question for the fray - if Chiasu and LSAC say that I have a 70% chance at  Emory, 60% chance at GW, and 45% chance and Vandy, does this mean that the odds of not getting into any one of those places is only 6% [(1-.70) * (1-.60) * (1-.55)] ???
I'm assuming independence, i.e. my chance of getting into Emory has no influence on my chance of getting into GW.  Chew on this one for a while.  After all, figures can't lie, but liars can figure.

I had this same thought. After dusting off the old statistics book, it seems that each event is independent, thus your chances at each school has no effect on other schools.

SWM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 09:28:28 AM »
People are getting admitted already?!  I'm still in the process of finalizing my applications.  I figure I'll be sending them out on the 15th - pay day.

gailrules

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 09:28:50 AM »
I'm a non-auto-admit at some of my top choices... can I join the festivities?

You're an awsome applicant, and I have mad respect for you, but you're kinda like the newlywed posting in the sexual frustration thread.

"Aw, boo hoo, I haven't had sex in 12 hours!"

"Aw, boo hoo, I might have to wait more than 3 weeks for my acceptance from an Ivy!"

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 09:30:49 AM »
Yes, I know what it's like to desperately grope towards T14, all the while knowing that you'll end up at BU.

jgatsby

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 09:48:33 AM »
Yes, I know what it's like to desperately grope towards T14, all the while knowing that you'll end up at BU.

Same here, yet Fordham it is for me.