Law School Discussion

Northwestern Visit !!

Elle Gal

• Choose your own adventure.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - elleaqui
    • View Profile
Northwestern Visit !!
« on: November 09, 2005, 04:33:06 PM »

Has anyone visited Northwestern yet? Interviewed? If so, I'd love to hear what you thought about the campus and how your interview went. Also...anything you would have liked to do but didn't during your visit.

Many thanks, in advance.

L

Re: Northwestern Visit !!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 05:35:25 PM »
Interviewed off campus, visited campus. The only downside I saw was that it is a little cramped; this would have to be the counterpart to being on prime real estate, next to the lake and three blocks from the magnificient mile. Sitting in on class was interesting. Students do not appear to be pumpous jackasses. Managed to learn that their most famous alum is actually Jerry Springer (conspicuously absent from their wall of fame). Professors seem accessible, facilities are just intimidating enough to convey some authority, as opposed to the B-school next door, with corridors reminiscent of a cheap motel. Library seems more than adequate to my untrained eye; the view of the lake might be slightly distracting. Neighborhood appears wonderful, though, of course, overpriced. Overall, seems like an A- to me.

Elle Gal

• Choose your own adventure.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - elleaqui
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 09:06:14 AM »
Many thanks for the evaluation. I figure that we'll be inside most of the time during
law school anyway, so I'm glad to hear that you had an overall good impression.

What class did you attend?
Best,
El

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 12:10:30 PM »
Crim Pro. Interesting discussion of criminal sexuality. At some point, there was a discussion of sezual fraud which caused the question to be asked: "what would that be". The professor gave the possible example of a Physician telling her patient that to be cured, she should have sex with him. And two days later, such a story hit the news. Almost enough to make me believe in the supernatural. Ok, not enough, but cool nonetheless.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 07:42:25 PM »
Interviewed & Tour. I fell in the love with this school. My view could not have gone better(surprising after hearing horror stories), too bad my #'s are borderline for NW. The campus and location is incredible. Everyone was very nice. The court room that was modeled after the British House of Commons was gorgeous-backbenches & all. I found it very interesting that on the wall of alumni, Jerry Springer has been removed, and a spot has been left blank. Good move NW. If you get in here, go. The law library has a view overlooking Lake Michigan, rumor is some Kellog(business school) students try to sneak over to the law school facilties because they are so nice. Go Cats!

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 08:25:10 PM »
Interviewed & Tour. I fell in the love with this school. My view could not have gone better(surprising after hearing horror stories), too bad my #'s are borderline for NW. The campus and location is incredible. Everyone was very nice. The court room that was modeled after the British House of Commons was gorgeous-backbenches & all. I found it very interesting that on the wall of alumni, Jerry Springer has been removed, and a spot has been left blank. Good move NW. If you get in here, go. The law library has a view overlooking Lake Michigan, rumor is some Kellog(business school) students try to sneak over to the law school facilties because they are so nice. Go Cats!

My interviewer was really pushing for me to visit, but I think I will wait to see if I get accepted before making the long drive down there.  I am too afraid of falling in love with a school to only get my heart broken.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 09:45:40 PM »
I do not understand why so many people have these marginal(to be optimistic) interviews. My numbers are borderline, my p.s is great,as well as my recs. My interview is one of the best elements in my NW app, but for all of you who had one realize this..it means little. I wish the view ment more, but for everyone who had a bad one...do not worry. I have a feeling there is a simple rating on views that may push over/under a borderline candidate to give these things an optimistic amoutn of pull. In all reality the views just make sure you are not socially akward. I am really surprised that so many have had bad views. NW seems to be some progressive insitution that seeks well-rounded,unique individuals...you would think that those who codnuct the interviews would reflect this. If you had a bad one, don't worry... I'm sure you are well beyond qualified, as for me I had a great one, that in all reality will get my hopes up=heartbreak.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 04:29:07 AM »
I have an off campus interview coming up with Northwestern.  Any ideas on what to expect?

numbercruncher

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 04:40:49 PM »
I had my off campus interview with Northwestern and it isn't that bad, however I did have a lot in common with him. It was conducted like a top level job interview. He asked for my resume and grilled me about almost everything on it. Asked me for specific details about research, choreography work, yada yada. Just be a genuine and real person. In the end he told me flat out that I was getting his reccomendation to attend. The interview is conducted so that they can get an idea for your personality. The interviewer fills out a questionnare and then writes comments as to what they thought of you. A bad one, can affect your application. A good one may give a little boost, but nothing extreme. Basically they look to make sure you will 1. fit in and 2. work well with others since the law school emphasis is on teamwork.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 04:56:22 PM »
thanks for the info