Law School Discussion

LOR from Graduate Student lecturer or Prof

LOR from Graduate Student lecturer or Prof
« on: November 08, 2005, 10:07:27 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if admissions officiers will weigh graduate student lecturer less than a prof. My problem is that I had close one on one contact with my philosophy grad student lecturer, than all of my profs, and I'd like to use him to write one of my LOR. But I'm worried that this might come back and bite me later on. Thanks

Howard Sun

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: LOR from Graduate Student lecturer or Prof
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 12:59:44 AM »
Stephkay is correct, although, strictly speaking, grad student LoRs hold less weight than those of assistant professors, whose, in turn, hold less weight than those of tenured professors. 

Still, the difference shouldn't be significant if you know you can get a really strong LoR from a grad student, as opposed to some sort of mediocre also-written by a professor.

TXcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 08:59:55 AM »
You'll want to provide another LOR from someone who has a larger sample size (more experience teaching more students) with which to compare you.  Being the top student in a graduate student's career (which might involve 100-200 students) won't 'count' as much as being one of the top 20 students in a senior professor's career (which might involve tens of thousands of students).  Definitely use the strongest recommender, but bear this in mind and try to get a rec from a full professor, too.

bloomich

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 01:37:48 PM »
it depends... but i wouldn't discount getting a rec from GSI... i consider my strongest rec to be from a GSI... but i would only do it if you have reason to believe it should be better than something you could get from a prof... for instance, a special relationship that you developed... some sort of insight they could provide that no one else could, etc... if it's just i was in the GSIs class and I feel more comfortable approaching a GSI than a prof, then you might want to think about asking a prof instead

corky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 08:25:33 PM »
I think it's better to get a good recommendation from someone who knows you than a mediocre one from a professor who doesn't. Sure, if the recommendations are identical the professor's counts more, but if he doesn't know you well then it wouldn't be high quality anyway.