Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dean's Certificate FAQ -- PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD  (Read 117713 times)

SkipTown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Dean's Certificate FAQ -- PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 09:03:00 PM »
Columbia's Application Instructions:
"A Deanís Appraisal form or an equivalent certification
of good standing must be
submitted from each educational institution
where you are currently enrolled in a degree
program; from which you have already earned
a degree; and at which you were matriculated
toward a degree (regardless of whether a
degree was received)."

My 4 years of college was split between 3 schools. I sent in deans certs from all of them? I understood the highlighted passage as meaning that any school attended after high school needed to send in a dean's cert. Was I mistaken? If so, will thus hurt my app?

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 03:35:10 PM »
Columbia's Application Instructions:
"A Deanís Appraisal form or an equivalent certification
of good standing must be
submitted from each educational institution
where you are currently enrolled in a degree
program; from which you have already earned
a degree; and at which you were matriculated
toward a degree (regardless of whether a
degree was received)."

My 4 years of college was split between 3 schools. I sent in deans certs from all of them? I understood the highlighted passage as meaning that any school attended after high school needed to send in a dean's cert. Was I mistaken? If so, will thus hurt my app?

Well I think matriculated toward a degree means enrolled in a program/i.e. having a major. Columbia's app is way too much trouble in my opinion, it is designed for someone who did all four years in the same school.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Achilles

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 11:29:10 AM »
I just saw the topic-very helpful ! I had a question though. It looks like my academic advisor will be doing it for me, but do the law schools have specific forms I have give to the advisor or can he just write a generic letter ? What should be included this letter ?

lawstudent3

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 11:30:20 AM »
Those schools that require such a form will have their own form, and will be in the "supplementary forms" section online.  If you're applying by paper, check in the packet somewhere.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 12:57:48 AM »
 Most of the instructions (except stanford) said to give the dean a self-addressed envelope, so I did. Well now that I have these letters in envelopes addressed to me what do I do with them? insert the whole envelope into another one and send it to the school?

thescreed

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 12:59:52 AM »
Most of the instructions (except stanford) said to give the dean a self-addressed envelope, so I did. Well now that I have these letters in envelopes addressed to me what do I do with them? insert the whole envelope into another one and send it to the school?

Only if the flap on the envelope is signed so the schools know you didn't open it and look at it. Otherwise you might have to start over.

The way I did it was address the envelopes to the law schools, keeping me out of the loop entirely. It's not only quicker, there is no possibility that I could be accused of tampering with it.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 01:01:37 AM »
 Oh, I just looked at them. They are all signed :) Why would the instructions on LSAC tell me to do it this way? Is there any way it would still end up being a problem? Thanks!

thescreed

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 01:29:20 AM »
Oh, I just looked at them. They are all signed :) Why would the instructions on LSAC tell me to do it this way? Is there any way it would still end up being a problem? Thanks!

I don't know, since I never read the LSAC instructions. I read the instructions for my school, and the school gave me a choice of doing what I did or doing what you did. I decided the option I chose was best. Maybe not all schools offer that option . . .

amoebalaw

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2005, 06:11:50 PM »
I got my undergrad and grad degrees from the same university. My university has one Judicial Affairs office that fills out all the Dean's Cert forms.

Do I only need them to fill out one form per school (i.e. Brooklyn or Columbia gets one form from my school that covers both my degrees)?

Thanks for your input.

joe2005

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 10:37:10 PM »
Does anyone know which schools you need a dean's cert from if you've been admitted to Penn and are going?  (Current school, degree schools, matriculated schools, all attended...?)