Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dean's Certificate FAQ -- PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD  (Read 115830 times)

SBToLaw

Re: Dean's Certificate FAQ -- PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2006, 01:01:26 PM »
What about Community Colleges where you received an AA by virtue of finishing the classes required to transfer?  Do you need a Dean cert from there too?

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2006, 03:19:02 PM »
What happens if the school receives your dean certification before the application start period? I sent mine out because I don't know how long it's going to take my undergrad to fill it out and send it back but now I'm worried that it will look bad if the law school receives it before they get my application.

I wanna know this too. I'm emailing Columbia's adcomm today with my question.
Former mostly-anonymous admissions cycle blogger. Current law student.

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2006, 06:15:05 PM »
What happens if the school receives your dean certification before the application start period? I sent mine out because I don't know how long it's going to take my undergrad to fill it out and send it back but now I'm worried that it will look bad if the law school receives it before they get my application.

Okay, they told me that submitting last year's Dean's Cert form might be okay, and that I should do a status check after I've submitted the body of my application to find out. What this means for me is, I'm going to print out a 2006-7 version of the form and send it off to my school's admin now, and just ask to pick it up once it's complete. I'll turn it in with my app.

jane426

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2006, 10:55:56 AM »
Looks like Georgetown only wants one if you are transferring into Georgetown from another Law School.  If I am mistaken, could someone kindly point me in the right direction of their Dean's Cert. form?

Thank you All

mL4300ic

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2006, 11:03:29 AM »

Okay, they told me that submitting last year's Dean's Cert form might be okay, and that I should do a status check after I've submitted the body of my application to find out. What this means for me is, I'm going to print out a 2006-7 version of the form and send it off to my school's admin now, and just ask to pick it up once it's complete. I'll turn it in with my app.
So is it okay to turn in your Dean's Cert forms before you submit an application via LSDAS? I won't be applying until after scores come out for the September LSAT, but I'd like to start the Dean's Cert form process now. I've got all transcripts and rec forms in at LSDAS already.

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2006, 11:18:37 AM »

So is it okay to turn in your Dean's Cert forms before you submit an application via LSDAS? I won't be applying until after scores come out for the September LSAT, but I'd like to start the Dean's Cert form process now. I've got all transcripts and rec forms in at LSDAS already.

Yes. If you're worried, tell the dean that you'll pick up the envelope yourself and mail it in whenever you'd like.

Kailash

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2006, 05:07:40 AM »
Harvard said their requirement of Dean's Certificate is outdated and left as it is on this year's instructions and forms, and that you don't have to deal with it and just skip it.

maddux31

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2006, 10:20:31 PM »
Does South Carolina still require a dean's cert? I looked on the application form and there's not one listed there as part of the application.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2006, 07:16:13 PM »
This was asked earlier but not fully addressed: What's the situation with sending in a Dean's Certification prior to applying via LSDAS?

I've got my Dean's Certification ready to send to my UG school, and have spoken with the Dean (they say they will turn it around in just a few days once they receive it). That said, I probably won't be completing my application (to Boston U. in this case) online for another 10 days or so. Is it a problem if the certification arrives before my app? Thanks guys & gals.

Many schools will accept materials in advance of the application as long as all forms and letters are clearly marked with your name, SSN and LSAC numbers.  You should check for each individual school to make sure, though.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2006, 12:35:36 PM »
This was asked earlier but not fully addressed: What's the situation with sending in a Dean's Certification prior to applying via LSDAS?

I've got my Dean's Certification ready to send to my UG school, and have spoken with the Dean (they say they will turn it around in just a few days once they receive it). That said, I probably won't be completing my application (to Boston U. in this case) online for another 10 days or so. Is it a problem if the certification arrives before my app? Thanks guys & gals.

Many schools will accept materials in advance of the application as long as all forms and letters are clearly marked with your name, SSN and LSAC numbers.  You should check for each individual school to make sure, though.

I asked my pre law advisor this question, and she said it wasn't a problem--that if they got the dean cert first, they would just start a file for me.  That being said, if someone screws up, I can always just send it again.  Stay on top of people. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.