Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dean's Certificate FAQ -- PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD  (Read 119637 times)

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dean's Certificate FAQ -- PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 04:43:24 PM »
HELP!!  Are there any London School of Economics alumni/alumnae on here?  I am having a &%$%^ hard time trying to get a "Dean's Certificate" from them.  I have sent the form to the Student Services centre, to the Graduate Dean, to the University of London academic registrar and to the Secretary of the department I studied in.  None of them have returned it, because none of them are "Dean of Students." (There is no bureaucrat like an English bureaucrat)  Except for this stupid form all my app's would have been complete six weeks ago.  I am about to send yet another copy to the Three Tuns and hope some random person fills it out.  Anyone who has been in this situation and found somebody to fill out the form I am going nuts and could use wisdom and guidance!!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006, 01:54:15 PM »
HELP!!  Are there any London School of Economics alumni/alumnae on here?  I am having a &%$%^ hard time trying to get a "Dean's Certificate" from them.  I have sent the form to the Student Services centre, to the Graduate Dean, to the University of London academic registrar and to the Secretary of the department I studied in.  None of them have returned it, because none of them are "Dean of Students." (There is no bureaucrat like an English bureaucrat)  Except for this stupid form all my app's would have been complete six weeks ago.  I am about to send yet another copy to the Three Tuns and hope some random person fills it out.  Anyone who has been in this situation and found somebody to fill out the form I am going nuts and could use wisdom and guidance!!!

Most forms I've seen specify in the text that it is to be filled out by dean of students or something like "other administrative officer with access to your records."  Perhaps you can highlight this and emphasize the fact in a cover letter?

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2006, 12:35:26 AM »
Most forms I've seen specify in the text that it is to be filled out by dean of students or something like "other administrative officer with access to your records."  Perhaps you can highlight this and emphasize the fact in a cover letter?

Good idea.  In case anyone else finds themselves in this situation -- foreign school you attended a long time ago -- Columbia and Harvard at least will also accept a form/letter from the school saying they have no way to complete the form.  Hope this helps somebody, then I will feel like it was all worth it!!! OK, not really.... Wow, maybe I am cut out to be a lawyer! 8)

chombi3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 01:59:22 AM »
hey, now that the application part of the season is officially over, does anybody think that this thread can be unstickied?
Crazy For You: georgetown, NYU, penn ($$$), UVA, chicago, columbia, harvard!!
Rejection Is The Greatest Aphrodisiac: Stanford
Justify My Love: yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chombi3

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2006, 02:01:58 AM »
hey, now that the application part of the season is officially over, does anybody think that this thread can be unstickied?

some of the schools require certification when you're enrolling, so probably not.? like Penn.
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.

chombi3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 02:05:58 AM »

some of the schools require certification when you're enrolling, so probably not.? like Penn.

boo.  i hate these stupid sticky threads (except mail call, of course.)

MarineSP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »
on one of the Dean's certification forms, it asks to mark "access waiver"

I waive access to this report. this report must be sent directly by the school completing the form
or
I do not waive access to this report. The results of this questionnaire will be made available to a student who has to agreed to this waiver of he or she enrolls as a student...
Which one should I mark? Why do these mean?

chombi3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2006, 10:37:36 PM »
on one of the Dean's certification forms, it asks to mark "access waiver"

I waive access to this report. this report must be sent directly by the school completing the form
or
I do not waive access to this report. The results of this questionnaire will be made available to a student who has to agreed to this waiver of he or she enrolls as a student...
Which one should I mark? Why do these mean?

waive it.  its just like on your LORs.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2006, 11:35:25 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks for compiling this list! I'm an old alum of my undergrad, but the pre-law adviser at my school was kind enough to speak with me today about law school, and we talked about Dean's Certs and where to take them at my undergrad.

Interesting history-- the Dean's Cert is a hold-over, he said, primarily from the northeast in the days where the Dean actually knew you personally, enrollment was much smaller and the Dean could vouch for your personal character.

Just thought that was interesting and wanted to share. Also-- at my undergrad, the Dean's Certificate for the school you are applying to is actually filled out by the Office of Student Conduct, and not the office of the Dean at your actual college (IE: Arts & Science, Business, etc.)
Vanderbilt 2010

riaroso

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2006, 09:07:22 PM »
Can I ask another question?
This dean's certificate, is it only required when you have not graduated from a school you were enrolled in?

For example.  I was enrolled in
-College A (got a AA from them)
-went back for another year to take courses,
-transfered courses to University B
-took online courses from University C while attending University B
-took another online course from University D while attending University B
-transfered courses from University C and University D to University B
-got a BBA from University B

which of these schools, if any, do I need to have a Dean's Ceritifcate from?