Applying to law school > Law School Applications

Dean's Certificate FAQ -- PLEASE READ BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD

<< < (3/31) > >>

TheGunner:
From Duke Law's website regarding the application process -

The dean's certification is not required to submit your file for evaluation. If you are accepted, certification will be required prior to matriculation.

I interpret that to mean your application will be considered even without it. Only if you are attending will they require it.

practiceboy02:

--- Quote from: darkwingduck on November 08, 2005, 11:26:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: pandabones on November 08, 2005, 07:44:30 PM ---Harvard and Columbia want the Dean's Certification from every school you have or will get a degree from, including graduate schools.  Stanford, however, only requires it from your undergraduate school.

I messed this up, so that is why I am posting it.

--- End quote ---

@#!*, are you sure about Harvard needing it from EVERY school?

--- End quote ---

I don't think they require it from every school attended, just the ones that granted a degree (including graduate degrees apparently?)

pandabones:

--- Quote from: pandabones on November 08, 2005, 07:44:30 PM ---Harvard and Columbia want the Dean's Certification from every school you have or will get a degree from, including graduate schools.  Stanford, however, only requires it from your undergraduate school.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yes, it is true.  They sent me an email this week telling me I had to get one for my education school degree, which I will get next year.  I couldn't believe they wanted it, but they do. 

pandabones:

--- Quote from: darkwingduck on November 08, 2005, 11:32:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: practiceboy02 on November 08, 2005, 11:29:10 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I don't think they require it from every school attended, just the ones that granted a degree (including graduate degrees apparently?)

--- End quote ---

I wonder if they count Associates degrees in that, hmm. I know Columbia's instructions said EVERY school even if they didn't give you a degree. That's enough for me to not apply to them.

--- End quote ---

I think they may count Associates degrees as a "degree program", but I don't think they want the certifications from schools where you may have taken a class (like summer school) but were not working towards a degree at that school.  At least I hope not, since I went to a couple local universities and community colleges during high school to take classes but was not working towards a degree at these schools.

jujunyc:
Also Penn, my UG, won't do individual ones for each school. Ah, why do they have to be difficult. they were like this w/ internships too.

So they have a generic law school dean credentials form that they have the Director of Academic Advising fill out (in the case of the School of Arts and Sciences, anyway), and they want you to send it to the school's credentials office and have them distribute it to all necessary schools. Obviously, UPenn grads have gotten in all kinds of schools, so I'm not going to worry too much. They write an extra paragraph in the instructions by way of reassuring that all schools will take their generic form.

Not a lot of extra hassle, but still.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version