Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: undergrad GPA  (Read 696 times)

spacecowgirl

undergrad GPA
« on: July 07, 2004, 02:08:44 PM »
I am wondering if where you went to school matters with regards to GPA.  Are all like GPAs considered equally, or might GPAs from top-tier undergrads be adjusted?  It seems like a lot of the top law schools are really interested in numbers and not much else...

I am sure this question has been asked, but any thoughts?

LSATGuru

Re: undergrad GPA
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 02:23:59 PM »
There certainly won't be any mathematical adjustment for top-tier school graduates. I think that a 3.85 from Harvard in Computer Science will fare a little bit better than a 4.0 in History from Arizona State when the students have the same or very close LSAT scores.  If you went to a low-tier school and you have a high GPA with a bunch of extras, that helps, ESPECIALLY credible work experience.  I think the top-top law schools (Harvard, Yale, Stanford) do give preference to ivy league and top undergraduate institutions only because they have SO many applicants who have 3.9+ GPAs, great LSAT scores and similar activities.  It's one of the few discerning factors. 

spacecowgirl

Re: undergrad GPA
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 02:30:14 PM »
Gotcha.  That makes sense.  It makes me wish I had gotten better grades.  Who knew they would matter?  Ha ha.