Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: newbie  (Read 2314 times)

berry

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
« on: October 30, 2003, 09:40:02 PM »
I am currently debating entering law school. I currently work as a RN in an ER I have  a BSN my undergrad gpa as 3.6 I have completed 16 hours of graduate with a 3.75 work towards a MSN, but decided it is not for me. I have not taken the lsat yet I am wondering what my chances are of getting in with my BSN as compared to more traditional prelaw type degree.  I am just staring this journey glad I found this board thanks for any info.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will."
Vince Lombardi

Chris-2

Re:newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 10:03:28 AM »
From what I've read on this board and other information including several of the law schools I've looked into, the actual degree you get in undergraduate has very little importance in their selection process.  With a 3.6 UGPA and a good LSAT score you stand a good chance of getting into a top 10 type law school.  If you're thinking more along the lines of a 2nd or 3rd tier school you will have no problem getting in.  And with experience in the medical field, once you have your law degree you should have no problem going into a law firm possibly specializing in malpractice or injury cases.

Good luck!

Chris

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 12:47:41 PM »
Just as a follow up to Chris,
Indeed your undergraduate record means next to nothing when applying to Law Schools. With a 3.6 UGPA and a 3.75 MSN your chances increase of admittance to a topr TIER law schol not necassarily a top 10. switching to go to law school before your grad your MSN is a mistake however in case those are your plans amissions directors frown on this incompletion regardless of if you had a 4.0 or a 1.0.
Do not worry about your undergraduate record compared to traditional (pre) law school programs
because if you have a non traditional background that offers diversity to a law school and will look good as opposed to the standard Poli SCI degree then apply... besides there is np particular cirriculum to study before Law school, no one perscribes them anyway, btw you are in good standing finish you MSN and you are a shoe in to a top tier law school. Hope this helps  ;D
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

berry

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 11:02:13 PM »
how come you feel it would be frowned upon to not finish my msn first just curious
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will."
Vince Lombardi

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 12:25:43 PM »
Quick answer to a long question. If you do not finish your MSN (which you were doing well in I might add) than law school will look at all of your admissions information, compile it as a brief to the admissions comittee or director where applicable. Notice that you did not finish what you started, and immediately replicate the notion about admission to their program (they'd believe that you would not finish law school or change you mind in the median) on the other end of the spectrum if you receive your MSN then they would only ppresume you wanted a change of field (but you finshed, not hange you mind i the median). Ok maybe its a long answer to a short question  ;D Hope this illuminates my position for you.
---IVY
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

Marnet

• View Profile
Re: newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 08:49:53 AM »
Berry...I have to say I don't agree with the notion that changing your path will have a negative effect on an admissions committee. In fact, I have been told by both admissions directors and law students that even taking and succeeding in 2 or 3 grad courses and having that on an application is a plus...it shows you can do higher level work. It shows a sign of self-knowledge, maturity, and courage to decide to change a path of study/career and admit you feel you can contribute your background and skills best by helping society through the power of the law. Health law, for example, is a very important and hot field and a school will embrace your past work and abilities here.
Better that you make the changes now --then spend more time, energy, and money pursuing a degree and field you believe is not right for you. Good luck!

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
Re: newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 09:32:11 AM »
I agree with Marnet.  I think the only major way that not finishing you MSN will affect you will be for employment.  Some law firms will want to verify your dedication to the field of law and might be wary if you were first pursuing a MSN before earning  a JD.  In order to show your dedication to the legal field, I'd recommend you specialize in some sort of Health Law and/or work in legal clinics while in law school.

Don't wates your time getting a degree (MSN) that you don't pan to use.  You should save your money for better things.