Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Puerto Rican vs. Hispanic  (Read 8808 times)

retrokast

• View Profile
Puerto Rican vs. Hispanic
« on: November 08, 2005, 09:01:13 AM »
I was wondering which one is more beneficial in regards to who gets more consideration.  Speaking, anyone who is Puerto Rican is considered Hispanic, but I am not sure how Law Schools view the situation?  Also, how many points boost would you think we would get if we have went through hardship?

retrokast

• View Profile
Re: Puerto Rican vs. Hispanic
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 08:49:36 AM »
I got a 148.  I know it is not good, but for some reason, I am not good at standarized test.  I am looking at PT programs in DC area.  I have good reccomendations, scholar-athlete, all american and grew up with immense hardship.  Any suggestions?  At this point, I just want to get into a school.

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 06:02:19 AM »
Go with Puertorriqueno.  I had the same problem, although I had to add "Black" to my dilemma (I'm Black, Cuban, and Boricua).  "Hispanic," I think, is dominated by Mexican-Americans -- and I would think they are much more heavily represented in law school than we Puerto Ricans.  Also, spinning the adversity story will help you only if you can show how it has made you a stronger and better person (and thus, a better potential student) rather than just saying that times were hard and that they should accept you just because.

Buena suerte,
L19
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 09:05:33 AM »
lets say some hot puerto rican chick gets her claws into me and we end up having a brat.

is the brat considered hispanic even if its only 50%?

yeppers. I'm black/white and my son is hispanic because his dad is mexican.
UMiami c/o 2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »
Also, spinning the adversity story

By "spinning" do you just mean making a point of mentioning it or do you mean embellishing the story to milk it for all it is worth? 

drv208

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:54:55 PM »
Also, spinning the adversity story

By "spinning" do you just mean making a point of mentioning it or do you mean embellishing the story to milk it for all it is worth? 

I imagine he means portraying it in the light most favorable to oneself. You know. "spinning."

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 01:06:20 AM »
Puerto Rican will give you a slight advantage over being just "Hispanic", but only if you're a mainlander Puerto Rican (ie: from the States), not an islander Puerto Rican.

At least this is according findings during the Grutter case.

That being said, a 148 isn't going to get you far at all regardless of your background (being hispanic imparts fewer boosts than being of certain other minority backgrounds relatively speaking).  You need to work on that hard.  Even breaking into the 150's will improve your chances significantly (assuming your GPA is now equally low). 
Yale.Law.School.2010

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 03:38:09 PM »
I was wondering which one is more beneficial in regards to who gets more consideration.  Speaking, anyone who is Puerto Rican is considered Hispanic, but I am not sure how Law Schools view the situation?  Also, how many points boost would you think we would get if we have went through hardship?

Further along those lines, if you are a URM and did NOT experience that much hardship (ie. looking more white so not really experiencing racism against latinos, growing up in a privileged area, etc.), does that negate your URM status?

if you check any catergory that would classify you as urm, it will probably be taken as such at face value--unless you get into specifics on a DS or PS
Columbia 3L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 02:38:24 PM »
They'd get more tourists if there weren't so many murders in San Juan.  Do we really need PR as a state?  I think that we should just cut them loose and let them be their own country.  I think that we could put "seven billion dollars" in financial aid to better use within the States.  I can't believe that they don't even pay federal taxes. 

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 02:40:04 PM »
They'd get more tourists if there weren't so many murders in San Juan.  Do we really need PR as a state?  I think that we should just cut them loose and let them be their own country.  I think that we could put "seven billion dollars" in financial aid to better use within the States.  I can't believe that they don't even pay federal taxes. 

uncredited in so many ways
Yale.Law.School.2010